1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in San Diego

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Jan 16, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Anchorman references go over everyone's head. And yup, I musta been off by two percent on the margin, Ace. Any way you slice it, this still sucks.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You're right. Will Ferrell is a little too high-minded for this crowd. ;)

3. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Working in Diego is like being on a gravy train, as far as I'm concerned. No one leaves, ever. The deadwood at the UT and Escondido paper is out of whack. They need to expel some of these lollygaggers.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

I don't know about the paper as a whole, but I know Mike Rosenthal. Great great guy. I can't imagine any layoff that includes him being a good thing.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Gee, so maybe you hold people accountable with performance evaluations that have teeth and actually measure production. Maybe you coach so-called "lollygaggers" into doing their jobs better, provide training to keep them current with technology and tastes, and so on. Maybe bosses should actually do their jobs for a change, rather than going to meetings, kissing up to their superiors and fretting about their own job security.

Goldbrickers need to be told to step up their output, or they're gone. But just letting folks lollygag and then whacking en masse with layoffs is a dishonest and chickenbleep way to manage.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't their NFL writer pushing 90?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hey, no one asks how many Pulitzers your staff has won, only how many your newspaper has won. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted