1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs Coming to the Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 28, 2012.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This sucks, obviously, particularly because many of us here are familiar with several folks who could be potentially affected. I'm not in a position to help anyone, but I certainly feel horrible for those going through this, particularly those who are going through this a second time at the same company.

It's also frustrating as a reader. They took away the sports coverage before. I stopped reading. Then I came back when they brought it back. Now they are cutting back again.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Moddy's such a stand-up guy. Must be killing him to try to think of a way to address this here ... diplomatically.

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Good wishes for everyone involved.

4. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

What a mess. Thoughts and best wishes to everyone involved.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Seeing threads like this make me more and more thankful I work for a company that hasn't had to drastically cut back over the last few years.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Eeesh....

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/twt-newsroom-dubs-ceo-evil-santa_b90254

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Motorhome Journalism?

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

It’s changing with the times, as all newspapers must. And we will be stronger when we get through this. David Jackson

You lose me right there, sir. Stop with the bullshit rhetoric. You are not stronger when you lop a significant amount of the workforce. You just aren't.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second. "It's changing with the times, as all newspapers must." Isn't that a fact? Layoffs have become more or less mandatory because profits are dropping. "And we will be stronger when we get through this." Editorial isn't the only department of the newspaper. You'd have to think the executives will feel better about the product if the cuts lead to better margins.

Anyway, I hope for the best for those affected.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

He'll be OK. Perhaps, for obvious reasons, he may not wish to say something publicly.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Holy crap. Terrible news. Thoughts, best wishes and prayers for all involved. Worst possible time of the year for this shit.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I'm losing my job, meaning I may lose my house and my life savings, but the million-dollar CEO is sleeping better knowing the profit margins are double-digits and my now-former place of employment is stronger! Yay!"

Draft saved Draft deleted