1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs coming at the OCR...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, that's the business mindset today. Make a mistake, acknowledge it quickly, move on, even if humans are in your wake. The idea is that once you hit on a great revenue stream, you'll hire many more people back on, albeit not the same people.

There is no time to lose money or tread water when you're dealing with investors. They care not about the product.

I believe Kushner does care. I do. But I think you have to find that package of stuff readers really want. And you have to learn to protect the shit out of the content. News gathering organizations really struggle with this, and little one-off Web sites -- where one person makes the money and more or less repackages paid content for free -- benefit.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's much better because of Wolken and Schroeder.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd add about four names to that list, but agreed...

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can imagine who some of them are. They're fine.

5. Mr. Editor

Mr. Editor New Member

An old colleague of mine has worked there and told me during APSEs that they won their most ever APSE writing awards this year with five. I went back and looked and I believe most are fairly new hires.
    http://apsportseditors.org/newsletter/2013-apse-contest-all-results/
    They do have good writers who have been there a while too.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

T.J. Simers took the buyout...

http://www.losangelesregister.com/articles/know-600649-one-never.html

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Great column. I didn't know Ashton Kutcher owned the Register, though.

On a more serious note: LA Times is trying an introductory rate for digital subscribers, $3.96 for the first month. Other papers are trying this as well. I wonder if it's time for the OCR to tweak its paywall a bit and try extra things to bring in subscribers.

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Here is the way it was explained to me through someone still at the paper. Everyone must take a two-week furlough before the end of July. The buyouts have been offered and "associates" had until Monday (June 9) to decide on whether or not they would take the buyout. Those who requested buyouts will be notified by Friday (June 13) if they can take their buyouts or stay with the paper. Those who have their buyouts approved will be out by the following Friday (June 20). I was also told that rather than looking at a specific number of bodies to cut loose, they are looking to get their salary payouts below a certain level.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Oh...and in addition to TJ Simers taking the buyout, Mark Whicker has also requested a buyout. Sources tell me that both will be approved.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Mark. You left the yard.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Can we please make a thread called "No layoffs coming at ..." And you can fill in your own blank? Just to restore some faith in our industry to the young reporters (especially those still in college) who read these boards.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here's what Mark missed while he was awaiting the buyout ...

Draft saved Draft deleted