1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seems to be about the norm everywhere. No one wants to induce panic, no matter how rapidly the ship is taking on water. Seems there are no real safety spots anymore, but I would suspect blogger is about as vulnerable as it gets.

2. yawho?

yawho? New Member

Remember the Grantland story on The National from a few months back? Some day, someone will put together just as fascinating a piece on the rise and fall of Yahoo! Sports.

Make no mistake, the decline is under way, even if it isn't yet readily apparent. Jimmy Pitaro and Dave Morgan assembled a sports car, but the keys ended up in the hands of the equivalent of drunken hillbillies who are careening toward a brick wall.

The people now running the show are the same brain surgeons who oversaw Myspace during the precise time it rapidly descended from the hottest social networking site on the planet to complete irrelevance. That tells you everything you need to know.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not about talent. The suits long since stopped caring about that. It's all about fast and cheap.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No matter how good the talent is, ad revenue can't pay for a full-time writer/blogger cranking out a story or two a day.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I go to Grantland on my Driod because it is easy to read and clean. I do not go to Yahoo or ESPN or CNNSi or Foxsports or CBSSports because they are all busy mismashes of links.

Design a clean looking site, and people will come. I do not want 50 links on my screen, and I do not want flash ads.

Good luck to all, and I am sure someday someone will figure how to make something look on a phone or Ipad other than Bill Simmons. And I just clicked Grantland on my Driod and saw a flash ad for Lexus. Sigh.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Almost every writer at Yahoo is making big, big money. Most left amazing gigs to go there.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You forgot a couple of "big's" there for some.

Wonder if they could get by on just "big" somewhere else.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing there are a few there who are hoping they didn't burn that ESPN bridge.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good point Devil.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

FanHouse, part II, if that's the case.

Hope it isn't.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Why the hell would Forde leave ESPN and go somewhere like that? Must be more to the story.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Sad to see. Gotta think all of those who jumped from Yahoo! to Disney are breathing a sigh of relief.

Draft saved Draft deleted