1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Yahoo Sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nafselon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm sure some 32-year-old low rung copy editor at HuffPost is taking their marching orders from DNC headquarters.

Give me a break.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He's an angry piece of shit. Grrr

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Quite obvious they don't report news. They try to make it. Fuck 'em all.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Today in painting with a broad brush....

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not inclined to celebrate a person's job loss. Also see a distinction to be made between a corporate squeeze-out vs. the marketplace deciding that a certain brand or outlet is doing a poor job. HuffPost might be trash but audience still might be there -- just not enough to save the jobs in question. But let's be honest: every job in "journalism" shouldn't be sacrosanct. Outlets doing lousy work, warping the public's perception of the media, flouting professional standards of news gathering, empowering half-cocked activists masquerading as reporters, etc., abdicate their own reasons for survival.

Liut, Tweener and bpoindexter like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If that's going to be how you judge a news outlet nowadays, good luck finding one you like.

Liut likes this.
  7. Doc Holliday

So I guess we should just accept shitty journalism as the norm for the profession. Such high standards you have. What a pathetic answer.

Tweener likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good straw man you built there.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That is the question. The genius consultants (where are they now?) decided way way back at the start of Internet site madness that it had to be free. It just had to be free cause NOBODY would pay for the written word. The higher ups, who never valued their employees' writing and frankly were repulsed by the attitude of cocky sports writers and their odd hours, quickly agreed it all had to be free and advertising would pay for it all. Fast forward to now ... still haven't figured a way to sell ads and layoffs are rampant.

10. Doc Holliday

But free is good. ;)

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Starting a post with "go fuck yourself," and ending it with "JFC," while claiming the moral high ground. That's rich.

Liut likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm fine with it because I'm right. Swearing isn't a fucking moral issue. But please, your holiness, lecture me about fucking morals.

Rejoicing when people lose their jobs is a terrible thing to do. You call taking glee in other people's pain moral? THAT is rich. If those are your morals, you can keep 'em.

We're talking about real people. With families to support. With mortgages/rent to pay. People whose lives are completely screwed by losing a job.

But pretty please, tell me more about how swearing is such a big fucking deal. You could not have missed the point any more than you did.

OscarMadison and inthesuburbs like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted