1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Yahoo Sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nafselon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

In the last 20 minutes Kevin Iole and Marcus Vandenberg sent messages on Twitter acknowledging layoffs in Yahoo Sports after the sale to Verizon went through.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Just keep Jeff Passan please. Please.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder how long Yahoo will maintain an editorial department in sports now that it is part of Verizon.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Huffington HuffPost laid off something like 39 folks yesterday as well.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

That's the best fucking news I've heard since Nov. 8.

gravehunter and Joe Williams like this.
  6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Sounds like Yahoo eliminated all of its sports people. Anyone else read that?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A poster here was one laid off. So fuck you.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

From the Huffington Post?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As part of the merger.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yahoo Sports does good work. Really, it does.

I have no idea how, over time, it could just give away all its content for free. I don't know how any of them do it for any length of time. Sooner or later, you gotta charge for it or lay off good people and turn the operation over to kids right out of college who want to work for pennies on the dollar for the prestige factor.

Dan Wetzel's content should not be free. Period. It's too good to be free. So is Jeff Passan. It boggles my mind that so much insight and excellence is just...given away. Once the seed money runs out, how do you justify it?

wicked likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

An esteemed longtime poster was among the layoffs, as was Kelly Dwyer, who is not Sandy.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They've been giving their stuff away for free for 20 years. It'd be like Google having a paid sports department and dumping their content in the news portals. Obviously Google hasn't made the missteps Yahoo has, but there's time.

Draft saved Draft deleted