1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Tonight Show, Leno takes pay cut

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 18, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I agree with all of this.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Leno's monologue was good when he first took over. That was a long time ago.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll watch Leno if Carolla or Norton is on, but I always find myself fast-forwarding through the monologue. I don't think he's funny at all...

I stopped watching Conan awhile ago. It's just not a very good show either. I loved him at 12:30, but the show has been pretty mediocre for awhile.

I don't like Leno, but I respect that he took a pay cut to save jobs.

It's one of the biggest reasons why he wound up with that job in the first place. When they had a rotating guest host, I think it was him, Shandling, Billy Crystal and maybe one other and Shandling's agent wanted them to hold out for $25K a show. Leno undercut them and agreed to work for scale.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Craig Ferguson interview with Dennis Miller might be one of the funniest things I have ever seen on television.

5. Mizzougrad96

I need to find that Ferguson-Miller interview...

I like Kimmel's show the best because he actually looks like he's having fun. I think Fallon does too... I don't think Conan, Leno or Letterman can say the same thing.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I believe that in the recent PBS American Masters 2-hour special on Johnny Carson, they noted that Leno's agent (or maybe it was Leno AND his agent) leaked stories near the end of Carson's run that NBC wasn't happy with Carson's ratings and wanted to make a change. That sent Carson toward the door.

If true, that's some serious rat-bastard shit. (Can't say I paid much attention to the so-called Late Night Wars, so don't know for sure.)

7. Mizzougrad96

Helen Kushnick was a legendary Hollywood bitch. I'm just curious how much she did without Jay's knowledge.

That said, I find it a little hard to believe that anyone could push Johnny out the door, but anything is possible.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When he started out as a guest on the Carson show, Leno was very funny. Of course, the Berlin Wall was still up, too. It's been widely documented that Carson was very tight with Letterman, but that Leno was the fav of the NBC brass because they felt he was the more middle American (mediocre) of the two and would hence get higher ratings. It took the Hugh Grant interview to prove them right.

9. Mizzougrad96

I used to make a point of always watching The Tonight Show when Leno was guest hosting. He was very funny back then, and the second he took over as permanent host, that seemed to disappear.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He let a guest complete a sentence or make a point? I must have missed that show.

I've watched Ferguson when he's had a guest I wanted to see, like Larry David. The guest's presence is really optional because it's all Ferguson and the robot and the horse.

If you like his act, fine. But don't try to sell me the idea that he's a good interviewer.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It was more a case of Leno being more cooperative, like willing to fly to Des Moines for a weekend to tape promos with the NBC affiliate's Channel 6 Action News team.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe it's because I genuinely don't give a shit what any celebrity has to say about anything, but I like Ferguson a lot as an interviewer. He makes me laugh. That's the whole point, as far as I'm concerned.

Draft saved Draft deleted