1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Tonight Show, Leno takes pay cut

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rumor is 24 laid off. Leno takes a pay cut of between $5-$10 million to prevent more cuts.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NBC_TONIGHT_SHOW_CUTBACKS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More on the Comcast-caused cuts.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/tonight-show-cuts-latest-in-wave-of-nbc-layoffs-cost-trims-imposed-by-comcast/

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Conan - whom I like as a comedian and a person - can love this all he wants. He simply wasn't an "11:30 performer". Leno is a comedian about 25 years past his prime but he is Subway. Conan makes a far better sandwich but the great unwashed like Subway.

Never confuse the box office with the reviews.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I honestly don't get his show. Why does he do a monologue? Why? He's not any good at it. He's good at some things, but not that. He's not much of an interviewer, either. I'll try his show for a couple nights, and it just doesn't do much for me. The show's too conventional, and he isn't.

About the only thing I consistently watch is Leno's Headlines segment, for obvious journo reasons. I'm not sure I've ever watched a full night of Leno.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Conan's monologue has always been unwatchable.
    Of course, Leno's entire show is unwatchable.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

According to Leno himself, he lives entirely off of his standup income. Tonight Show money goes into a bank account he never uses or even looks at.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He just needs to do commercials for the Garden-Weasel.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

On a related note, Barrett-Jackson just took caviar off the spread at the company Christmas party.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

"Headlines" is must-see TV in our house, but my wife & I are both either current or former journos. Jaywalking is a tired bit, but it provides me some good fodder for my history classes.

Leno's monologue is OK, but he's a horrendous interviewer.

Conan's monologue, I've never found funny, but his bits are tremendous.

Count me in the "I never really got Conan" camp, but to each his own.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So you wonder how many jobs a $5 million salary haircut would save on Leno.
    They cut about 10 percent of the 200 person staff.
    Leaving 190. Figure 50 at $100k per?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The best interviewer these days is Craig Ferguson. Conan O'Brien remains the funniest host. Jimmy Kimmel is affable and right behind Ferguson as an interviewer. And Jimmy Fallon has The Roots.

David Letterman and Jay Leno can't match any of those guys for quality of programming.

Draft saved Draft deleted