1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at AL.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My former Decatur colleague Paul Huggins says 22 were fired statewide. That's more than I'd seen reported initially.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Word around the campfire is that NOLA.com/The Times-Picayune has a similar round of cuts coming, but they are waiting until after the 10th anniversary of Katrina (Aug. 29) to do so.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, gotta get the important stuff done first! Sigh.

4. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

I think the news just got worse at AL.com. There's a facebook post saying the entire sports call center was laid off tonight.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

As in all the people who handle high school football calls two weeks before high school football starts???

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Two days.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What the... what are they going to do? Handle all the calls from one combined AL.com/NOLA.com site?

This has got me a little worried up in Michigan.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's amazing how quickly the Newhouse papers have gone from the pinnacle of the industry, where everyone wanted to work, straight into the shitter.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's amazing that when the smoke has cleared, Al.com doesn't have a single African American reporter. How does something like that happen in a city such as Birmingham?

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So far as I know Gary Estwick still has a job. He is black.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In sports or news? Natalie Pierre and Gary Estwick in sports are both black.

Draft saved Draft deleted