1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lawrence O'Donnell Trying to Get Fired?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 7, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow, he has hammered NBC for the entire hour tonight for allowing Trump to remain on the air while continuing to make birther claims.

He displayed a rating chart that shows Celebrity Apprentice's ratings climbing as his birther appearances continued. Says NBC doesn't care because of the ratings.

Says FOX got sick of Glenn Beck's craziness, wonders what it would take for NBC to fire Trump. Said CBS fired Charlie Sheen.

Bigger question, can you call out your employer's integrity on a network they own and still keep your job?

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't know if he'll be fired, but he's right. Somebody has to call out Trump for this crap.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

O'Donnell doesn't need that show just for the money, and has made clear it's not something he particularly loves doing. He's a guy with pretty diverse interests. If he can't speak his mind, I imagine he'd rather not be there anyway. He's also completely right, which helps.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Does anybody want to be at NBC anymore?
    With one foot out the door, Meredith Viera let him prattle on and on today. Now there are stories that Matt Lauer will walk when his contract runs out next year.

5. Smallpotatoes

The next person who interviews Trump needs to say the following:

"Not only has Obama released his birth certificate, he's the only Presidential candidate who ever has. The state of Hawaii's DOH verified the information on the document. The newspaper announcements were placed by the state, not the parents or grandparents. Now if you have any credible evidence that Obama was born anywhere else, please let me know. That's evidence that he was not born in Hawaii, not 'anybody could get a Hawaiian COLB, his grandmother said he was born in Kenya, he's spent millions trying to hide his personal records' or any of that shit.
    If don't have such evidence, shut the fuck up."

6. YankeeFan

The surprising thing wasn't that O'Donnell blasted Trump. That was warranted & expected.

But he blasted -- I mean blasted -- NBC for the entire hour. It wasn't like he made one comment asking why NBC would allow such nonsense, it was the central them of the show.

He basically said that FOX had more integrity than NBC.

It really had me wondering if he wants out and would like to do it in a blaze of glory.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Or, better yet, just keep their mouths shut and let him prattle on.

IMO, survival of the birther crap is one of the best things that can happen to Obama's re-election hopes, and a birther presidential candidate would be absolute gold. The only people inclined to buy into that were never gonna vote Obama anyways, and it only turns off the people who are on the fence and communicates a message about how utterly desperate to smear is the right.

Republicans are the ones who should be desperate to shut up the birthers, Dems should be happy to let em spew away.

8. Smallpotatoes

I don't know. If you don't challenge lies, people tend to believe them.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The next time someone interviews Trump and he starts spewing about the birth certificate, said interviewer should say, well, Donald, are you willing to let us see your draft card and do an investigation of where you were and why during that time?

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The issue is such a non-starter, why bother? Let Trump prattle and worry about the things that are actually important. I think the whole "Reality star questions President's birthplace" story has more people rolling their eyes than actually taking is seriously. Why even give it any more legs?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Better yet was Bill Cosby coming on after Trump, and being Grumpy Cos and ripping Trump as a fool. Meredith Viera sat there in stunned silence, like she could have used a lifeline.

12. YankeeFan

Cosby went after him? Where?

O'Donnell played a long clip of the Trump/Viera interview. She looked incapable of asking a good, tough question.

Draft saved Draft deleted