1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law school graduate's case against law school will go to trial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I know what you are talking about, but your level of policy analysis is on the same level as "just buy aspirin on the way home."

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's not remotely what I am saying.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I sincerely apologize for not spending six months to put a proposal together that would pass the message board sniff test.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

My fiancee is in a similar situation. There's no way we'll ever be able to pay off her six-figure law school debt along with paying off a house. We're already saving up for that year about 15 years down the road when we take that gigantic tax hit after the forgiveness, though.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is what you said:

People are starting to look at college as a bad investment.

What is your evidence of this?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By "bad" I meant cost-prohibitive or overpriced compared with alternatives. It's still better to go to college (depending upon the degree) and take on debt than not.

But it's getting to the point where parents are not going to fight too hard if junior decides to go to welding school or electrician school rather than a 4-year college.

And if prices keep going up the way they are, the kids who end up paying for college will be the ones who can't get in welding school.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Thinking things through for a minute won't hurt, either.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is $1.2 + trillion in student loan debt outstanding. And untold money spent by parents who didn't take out loans, but blew through savings so junior could go to college. The percentage of people who have started college and graduated has steadily decreased to where it is now less than 75 percent. The money those who don't graduate spend, and the debt they rack up in the process, is still owed, though. Many of those who graduate are not any better off than the ones who didn't -- in any practical way of looking at it. A scary percentage of recent college graduates aren't even getting full-time permanent employment (many working multiple part-time jobs), and of the ones that are actually employed, half are arguably performing jobs that don't require a degree -- or the kinds of jobs that didn't require a degree 25 / 30 years ago. A very large percentage aren't earning anything near what would justify the debt loads they took on, if the purpose was to increase earnings potential.

Obviously you can't speak in absolutes. A biochemistry degree from Harvard is probably a pretty good investment, and will remain a good investment -- if you can get one of those. A liberal arts degree from one of the zillions of third tier colleges that have thrived on government backing of student loans pushing underqualified students into college for the sake of going to college? That is certainly proving to have been a crummy investment, if the purpose was to end up financially better off. It's the reality a lot of kids are living right now.

This is just example gazillion and one of a bad combination of fiscal policy (which has backed student loans at public expense, and drove up costs in the process by hijacking the demand part of the supply / demand equation to skew things) and broad monetary policy that has existed to monetize the debt those fiscal policies create, so that we can take the eventual cascade of defaults to crisis levels.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You rich lawyers who are fucking us taxpayers by reneging on your debts -- I hope you have endless bouts of piles and scabies.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I hope she wins. Law schools like Thomas Jefferson shouldn't even exist. If only the ABA would sack up and drop the accreditation on these bottom-feeder schools that produce few actual lawyers and exist largely to take advantage of naive students with easy access to large amounts of non-dischargeable debt.

Ace and Dick Whitman like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She's neither practicing law nor rich.

Draft saved Draft deleted