1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law & Order/The Wire mashup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I was enjoying it until the DVR stopped recording at 9 and it had two minutes left to go. If anyone can remember what happened, I'd love to know. Last thing I heard was the lady undercover cop got shot ... then the DVR stopped.
    I hate that.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The episode that got me seriously hooked on L&O was the first season, Grevey and Logan are waiting for a prison bus from Rykers at a transfer station. The van rolls up, the doors open, three guys are cuffed together, the one in the middle is dead. Turned out the case involved the IRA and middle-east gun running as well.
    That first season had all the best episodes "Everyone's Favorite Bagman", the Harve Beagle two-parter, Shambala Green, S. Epatha Merkeson makes an appearance at a grieving mother, Phillp Seymour Hoffman plays a street punk. Cases based on Tamara Brawley, Bernard Goetz, abortion-clinic bombings, the Preppie Rapist, the Mayflower Madam...
    The show has never been that good since, but there have been a few great episodes. I miss the Masucci Crime Family.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There were some good episodes, but I didn't think it started to get good until Greevey died and Paul Sorvino (drawing a blank on his detective name for some reason) moved in. Greevey and Logan were just too much alike, both kind of hard-edged. Sorvino, and later Lenny Briscoe and the other detective pairings, complemented each other much better.
    The show also suffered from the usual early-season adjustment period many shows go through, as well as a lot of the same things that started to bring it down a few years ago -- too many real-life cases, a little too much drama, instead of just sticking to the formula of following a case from point A to point B. It got better during the Sorvino years, and really hit its stride with the Briscoe/Logan/Kincaid/Stone/McCoy combinations.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Jack McCoy is my hero. Sam Waterston is such a badass.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The first season of L&O is definitely the best. I loved all of the Masucci family episodes.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I don't think I have ever seen any episodes from the first season. I got all my L&O from TNT and I don't recall them going back that far.

7. DanOregon

Oh, the Sons of Liberty guy is Denis O'Hare, a great actor. If you saw Michael Clayton, he was the first guy Clooney is sent to clean up after.

I liked the first season best, mainly because they were able to make use of a decade or so of NY tabloid fodder. Agree the show hit its stride in years 2-3-4, but after a while the stories all became rehashes of things done better earlier in the run.

8. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Fixed.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think it was best with Lenny and Jesse as the cops and Jack and Abby as the DAs. I think Jack is criminally underused in the Schiff role. I;ve seen the last couple of eps. Anthony Anderson and Jeremy Sisto make a decent cop pair. Linus Roache and Alana de la Garza are not as decent.

10. DanOregon

The post-Shiff era was not really good, it's been better since Waterston took over the DA post, but it takes scenes away from Roache (who I think I think does a good job).

11. One of the greatest wrong-man-convicted L&O's of all time.
    I believe it's the one where McCoy's old girlfriend turns out to have framed the guy whose conviction boosted McCoy's career, and he charges her, and Claire (Ahhhh!) Kincaid takes her apart on the stand.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The ADA on the show now, Alana De La Garza, is stunning. She is also a pretty decent actress.

Draft saved Draft deleted