1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laurie Fine suing ESPN for defamation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by farmerjerome, May 16, 2012.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Here's the Deadspin story:

http://deadspin.com/5910732/laurie-fine-to-sue-espn-for-libel

Basically, she says that the tape ESPN aired was doctored. However, she's not suing Bobby Davis (Bernie's accuser) or saying that her husband is innocent.

I wish you guys could've seen the press conference. First of all, it looks like she did her hair with a barn fan. Then her lawyer does nothing to help the cause. He says something along the lines of, 'Laurie can't even shop at Wegmans any more!'.

I mean, Wegmans is great and all, but I knew this was going to be a disaster when I woke up this morning. I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As a new Wegmans convert, I'd be furious if I couldn't shop there anymore. I'd sue someone!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know all the details here, but if some guy is trying to push a story to me about being sexually abused for more than a decade and I am unable to confirm or corroborate it, I am more likely to be annoyed at that person or -- at best -- resigned to the fact that I have to keep pursuing the story if it could be true.

I am not likely to be pals with that person and agree to write a libelous story just because he became my buddy after 10 years.

4. JamieMertz13

JamieMertz13 New Member

I saw the presser and, yes, it was absolutely ridiculous. Just to clarify for those who didn't watch, it isn't as if she was banned from Wegman's or anything. The lawyer was referring to how she's basically had to go into hiding after the tape of her was released back in the fall. Sounds like the entire thing blew up in her face.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Because ESPN can settle for a lot more money than Bobby Davis can

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Go get em Laurie!

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Did anyone actually read and think 'he means she is banned from Wegmans.'

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What is this referring to?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"And Stay Outta the Woolworth"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Laurie Fine's claim is that the ESPN writer Mark Schwarz became pals with accuser Bobbie Davis after 10 years of back and forth on Davis trying to push the story and that ESPN finally decided to write something because of their relationship despite the fact that it might not be true. And also because of pressure from the Penn State story.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

"Lots of respectable coaches get hit by trains. Coach Welsh over in Providence got hit by a train."

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"Damn! We're in a tight spot." -- The Fine Family (and Jerry Sandusky)

Draft saved Draft deleted