1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laundry question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Dec 3, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll know the answer to this question soon enough, I guess. ... But I am working from home right now and just decided to throw in a boat load of laundry I have been neglecting. I didn't have any laundry detergent, though (ran out and forgot to buy). I can't run out to buy some. ... so I decided to use dishwasher powder instead.

Was this a horrifically bad idea? I set the machines to hot water wash to help the powder dissolve. I wasn't sure how much to use, but I erred on the side of less. Is this going to work, or was it a really bad idea?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The Interwebs seem to suggest that dishwasher detergent contains a ton of bleach, so hopefully what you put in were whites.

The other problem would be whether the powder can dissolve -- a dishwasher runs pretty hot. But my dishwasher here says the hottest setting is 75 Celsius, and the hot water cycle on the washing machine is 90.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good question. I do a shitload of laundry each week and unfortunately I can't offer a definitive answer, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

I'd be more concerned about the temperature setting. Generally, I wash everything in cold water - your colours aren't as likely to run and the clothes, in my opinion, get just as clean as they would in hot water.

But how the temperature will affect or not affect the powder you're using, I have no idea.

I'm interested to hear how it works for you, though. Dishwashing detergent may be all I have someday, so I'd like to know. Good luck! :)

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your jeans will sparkle, Rags!

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Generally, even powdered laundry detergent needs hotter water to dissolve properly, as does most any solid, for that matter -- as any Southern iced tea aficionado will tell you. If you're using cold water, you're much better off with liquid.

Though, in reality, you're better off with liquid anyway. It costs more, but it works better and lasts longer.

6. The Big Ragu

Oh shoot. I didn't consider that there was bleach in the powder. This could be REALLY ugly. Please say some prayers for my clothes.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Please tell me you are kidding?

8. The Big Ragu

Moddy, Not kidding. I can be a knucklehead about things like this.

And I am hoping there is no bleach in there. I just went to Cascade's website and looked at my powder. It doesn't say anything about bleach and they make a separate variety with bleach. So I am hoping I am safe. I'll know in a few minutes.

9. The Big Ragu

I think I am safe. They have a quiz to help you determine which product to buy, and one of the questions is, "Is bleach important to your routine"? I answered, "I can live without it if I still get clean dishes." and it gave the powder I have as the choice to buy.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Might not hurt to run them through an extra rinse cycle as well, just to get rid of any lingering powder/grittiness.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I use liquid. Specifically, Gain.

[​IMG]

The stuff works well, smells good and is reasonably priced.

But generic dryer sheets work well enough for that end of the laundry process - you don't need to spend extra for Bounce or whatever.

And I totally feel like Susie Homemaker when I say shit like that. :D

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What are you going to use for fabric softener, Rags?

Draft saved Draft deleted