1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laughing in the face of a loss or why reporters get a bad rap

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 30, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We'll all look back on this in a few years and laugh.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, and I like to think that's how I would have answered if I were Derek Anderson. I also like to think I wouldn't stare at my receiver for five seconds before throwing him the ball if I were Derek Anderson.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon. That's just reverse psychology. The defense thinks he's a decoy if you're locked on him for a millennium or so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

It just sounded to me like the reporter knew the answer he was waiting for, and he wasn't going to let up until he got it. Unfortunately for him, he got it the first time and kept pushing the issue.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How did he get the answer the first time? Anderson said he wasn't laughing. That was a flat-out lie.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why is that unfortunate for him? His name and voice are all over the place today.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There should be a fine line between acting like Anderson and acting like Vince Young. :D

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So his name and his voice are all over the place? With split results. Half the people, journalists included, think he's a douche. Just another case of the writer making the story about himself.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I fully understand what he was doing. He probably went a little too far with it, but I'm sure most of us have at some point if we didn't get the answer we wanted.

If the Cardinals had fans, they would shred Somers for it. :D

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

it was a fair question and the follow only went the way it did because Anderson dodged, he turned it into "you're saying I don't work hard" when the actual question was what's funny? Truth is Anderson probably didn't even know. For all the people all over the reporter, just as many would probably be criticizing him for going soft if he let him off with the the lie and no follow.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

His story is probably being linked all over the place. You think he really gives two shits if a few people think he's a douche? Would you?

Anyway...

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I get that the reporter probably was in a tough spot. I think it says more about the sports-viewing world in general. Here in the Northeast, Sox fans are all over JD Drew because he doesn't show much emotion, whether he's hitting a grand slam or into a double play in the ninth.

So the guy was laughing after a bad, bad loss. It happens. He's human. If we had a monster typo in a 100-point headline after the paper goes to press, can we not laugh about it when all is said and done?

Draft saved Draft deleted