1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest Story for The Shelbyville News

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Patrick Murphy, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Patrick Murphy

Patrick Murphy New Member

It's been a while, hasn't it? Well I have written a lot of articles since then. But only one for The Shelbyville News. If you guys want, I can also post the other articles.

Anyway, here's the link to my latest article for this unpaid internship from Indiana.

Link: The Shelbyville News - shelbynews.com (It's about a local girl who was a fan for a professional WNBA team and now is an employee for them)

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for posting so often.

Feel free to toss up anything you’d like critiqued. I try to make sure everything at least gets a response, though it may be a week or so before I have a chance to actually think about it.

A few lingering questions about this one:

— Will she be working with Erlana Larkins as part of the Fever? What is this “bond” — did they meet, if so how many times — or does Spahr just feel a connection to Larkins?

— Kids can be a hard source of info, so I’m glad you got her former coach to fill out some details. I’d try for more sourcing in that manner. A kid generally won’t know what’s actually special about their situation, but the adults in her life might. Especially around things like her fandom.

— Did you get anything from the team or the WNBA? Even a canned quote or some info about how many kids applied for the job could give this local-kid-does-good story a little more shine.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted