1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest offering from ESPN Ombudsman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 8, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"I know you hate the Yankees, but Vince said 'tough shit. Watch them or change to another baseball game. You can't? Tough shit.'"

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

zzzzzzzzz

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I do agree that a major problem is the pre-ordained story line. Networks (ESPN) go into a game determined to ride out what is perceived as the best storyline, ignoring what is actually going on in the process...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's an interesting theory: Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Fine and dandy, except that after a while, if a particular station constantly keeps you running for the hills, at some point you might not ever go back. Shouldn't that also be a concern for ESPN?

I guess not.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Nah. I'm too old for their audience, anyway. And I have mostly quit watching ESPN because I'm so tired of the same stories being hammered like nails over and over again.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If nothing else, Ms. Schreiber has proven adept at straddling the fence. It took an entire column for her to say absolutely nothing of substance, other than her first instance of toeing the company line vis a vis the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network's non-stop coverage of the same five topics.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didn't get the impression she was toeing the company line as much as saying "I talked to the guy in charge, told him of your concerns and he politely said 'it's not changing.'"

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The Tyranny of the storyline.
    That should be a class in every J-School in the country.
    Too many journalists -- particularly in sports -- pay no attention to what actually is happening, because a pre-fab storyline makes their jobs easier.
    She says nothing of substance? Only if you're part of the problem, my friend.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry, slap, but I'm with the Doc on this. Nothing in her word choice indicated she shared viewer opinions but rather passed them on out of a sense of duty.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm not, but thanks. Isn't about time for another heated defense of Andy Katz, Mr. ESPN?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The collective dickheadedness of ESPN would keep an honest ombudsman pretty busy. Here's more from last night. (Thanks, BLOG!)

http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingopinion/archives/007591.php#007591

Draft saved Draft deleted