1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest Daily News of L.A. Layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Nov 1, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Didn't see this posted on any of the several threads related to Southern California papers.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/10/daily_news_lays_off_3_had.php

I believe Tim Haddock posts here, so here's wishing him the best in the future, for which it sounds like he has a plan, at least. I'm glad of that.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The blog linked above references the departure of the last employee at the Daily News' attempt at citizen journalism. I don't want to see anybody put out of a job. I wish the person in question had been reassigned. So it's not about him. At the same time, I'm chuckling at the demise of "citizen journalism," one of the great oxymorons of our time.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

http://thelastdaysofajournalist.blogspot.com/

I have been keeping a journal all year about what's been going on at the Daily News. I started a blog to share, release, gripe, complain, comment and question what's going on in the newspaper industry.
    I know, BLOGS! It's been cathartic for me. Have at it.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Good man, that Tim Haddock.

Glad to hear he's landing on his feet.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I liked this part in the blog, an excerpt from a March entry:

Bill Dwyre, a sports columnist for the L.A. Times, said goodbye in his column today to four sportswriters from the Daily News who got laid off.

Finally, a sad goodbye and fervent wish: L.A. Daily News sportswriters Matt McHale, Billy Witz, Heather Gripp and Matt Kredell all were asked to depart their jobs Friday as the newspaper business continues to scrape flesh off its bones. They were competitors, some friends, all respected.
    May they all land well, feed their families and harbor lifelong bad thoughts about the people who did this to them and their business.

Negativity can be cathartic.

Draft saved Draft deleted