1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest bailout tab: $4 trillion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 29, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28918543

Pretty soon, this is going to be real money.

Not one prosecution?

Not one perp walk?

Trillions of money lost and not one law broken?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

This is insane.
    We will be paying for this for generations.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'll take the bad bank option on one condition.

If any bank decides to dump their toxic assets into that bad bank and is caught dolling out ridiculous bonuses or pampering some CEO, a federal execution squad gets sent directly to the CEO's office where they take care of the problem.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We are so fucked. Massive amounts of bank CEOs and higher ups should have lost their jobs over this shit.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I posted this on the Starbucks thread, and I'm posting it on here, too.

These execs getting good publicity for taking small pay are still getting huge bonuses every year. AIG management just got $400 million in bonuses for running the fucking company in to the ground. Of course that was right after they got $152 billion in fed subsidies. And the Merrill Lynch senior execs who got $4 BILLION in bonuses despite getting a $20 billion bailout and LOSING $15.3 billion last quarter.

Why isn't this getting publicized more? Why isn't there more outrage?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think it is getting publicized. Problem is, you don't have the vast majority of the American public taking to the streets to demand that these execs give back their bonuses. Another Boston Tea Party would be nice. Nothing violent, but a point made.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

California just paid for transportation for state lawmakers. They need to get to and fro while they dine at those Michelin rating restaurants.

This goes beyond being just a federal problem.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because it's fashionable to beat on the auto industry

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Lost their jobs? .... they should be hung

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why we don't this as much as other free countries. Europeans do it regularly for offenses far less egregious than this. Our own illegal immigrants will do it. But the vast majority of Americans won't.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It would require getting off our duff and doing something, and sadly that's not the North American way. Too many distractions at home, from the TV, to the computer to the XBox. People just want a) burry their head in the sand and hope it goes away; b) Are just to depressed to really do anything, basically overwhelmed in the economic collapse; c) We haven't been raised in that kind of a culture. A big rally up here is a rally of 50 people. The biggest one I've seen is 200. We generally are outraged enough to phone a talk radio show or write a letter to the paper or maybe even congressman/MLA or MP (for us Canadians) but rarely outraged enough to actually march and demonstrate peacefully. That requires doing something physical. Not exactly our style. It is incredibly sad.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Turbo Tax Timmy, while still at the NY Fed, told

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article6980230.ece

E-mails obtained by House Representative Darrell Issa, a member of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, show that Federal Reserve Bank of New York told AIG to withhold details from the public about its payments to banks such as Goldman Sachs Group and Deutsche Bank,

Thieves.

Draft saved Draft deleted