1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late Night with Seth Meyers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I remember Letterman getting a little criticism. Leno did, but nowhere near what Conan, Kimmel and Fallon got.

It takes time for a host to find their voice (or in Letterman's case and presumably Fallon's case, adjusting their content from 12:30 to 11:30.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

When Kimmel first started I thought there was no way he'd last more than a year or so. Not with the competition, time slot, background, etc. And here it is 11 or 12 years later and he's kicking strong. I'd also make it a toss up of who I like more at the moment, him or Fallon.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The 1st week of Kimmel was awesome. People were drunk, they were deep frying dummies, Snoop Dog was high. I miss that show.
    Of course, I have The Man Show on DVD, so I guess I could pull that out.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't he have Mike Tyson as his sidekick during the first week?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I just don't see Meyers growing into this in any way that is going to interest me.

Fallon just does things bigger.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Posted this on the Tonight Show thread but thought it also fit in here after seeing this comment:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/jimmy-fallon

The key graf:
    [/quote]

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This segment is fairly funny, but I kept thinking it would be funnier -- and more polished -- had Fallon or Kimmel been doing it. Cassandra is a scream, though, and Meyers' ad libs are his best moments.

http://t.today.com/entertainment/seth-meyers-wins-fake-or-florida-game-show-late-night-2D12181954

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Meyers' delivery will improve. He's so used to performing in front of an audience, I don't think he gets that he's actually supposed to use it and play off them a bit more. He'll get there. I don't think he's been a bad interviewer.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's almost a direct ripoff of a bit Carolla has been doing for about a decade. It's called Germany or Florida and they read a totally fucked-up story and guess whether it happened in Florida or Germany.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert or Pete Holmes are appropriate for comparison. They are not the same format. Same timeslot but different shows

I think the Carson-Leno-Letterman-O'Brian format style is a dinosaur. I don't know why Fallon and Myers are recreating it.
    It should become extinct.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I thought it was Snoop the first week. But it may have been Iron Mike. Either way, I know they were drinking a lot and doing funny, stupid things. And they served beer to the audience and a girl threw up, so they had to stop doing that.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Want to know why they're recreating it?

Total viewers from last week:

Fallon - 8.5 million
    Letterman - 2.9 million
    Kimmel - 2.6 million
    Meyers - 2.2 million
    Ferguson - 1.5 million
    Stewart - 1.3 million
    Colbert - 1.1 million
    Conan - .7 million

They're going with that format because that's what more people want to watch, and it's not even remotely close.

Draft saved Draft deleted