1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late Night with Seth Meyers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Feb 25, 2014.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It's 12:44 a.m. I'm done watching him.
    Ugh.
    1) Stop yelling at me!
    2) One-liner jokes? Like, not even 1 "story" joke?
    3) Why are you YELLING?!
    4) And, not funny. Well, except for the Bjork joke.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The story about the flat tire was good.

I'll stick with it. I always liked him on SNL.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never been a big Meyers fan, but when he got the gig, I thought, "That could work..."

He's a great writer. He wrote all of the Palin skits in 2008.

Other than the correspondents dinner, I don't think he's done much stand-up. I'm pretty sure his background is improv. Aside from being John Kerry, I can't think of any standout thing other than Update that he did on SNL. You could say the same thing about Dennis Miller, but he was brought in specifically to do update.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I seemed to be one of the few on here who liked him on Weekend Update, but that show last night was not good. The monologue was basically Weekend Update without the silliness and complementary graphics that often added to the joke. I think Seth might have a tough time making this work on a daily basis from what I saw last night. Fred Armisen is a talented guy, but I really can't stand him, and SNL is eminently more watchable without him. I hope he isn't going to play much of a role as the bandleader.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

This might be sacrilege, but is an opening monologue even necessary? I mean, I get that you can't go cold into your first guest, but I can't help but to think a five-minute stretch of color-by-numbers schtick doesn't really move the needle that much. Plus every damn show has some variation of it. Problem is, I'm stumped as to what could logically replace it if you were of a mind to fuck around with the traditional late-night talk show open.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Stewart/Colbert get along without the traditional opening monologue.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I had it on as background noise while writing a story, and I thought he WAS doing a version of Weekend Update. It sounded painful. Even on SNL, Meyers' delivery was terrible.

8. Mizzougrad96

I remember someone saying, "Even Dennis Miller thinks this guy is too smug..."

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He'll need to find his niche being the no. 3 show in New York.

10. Mizzougrad96

He'll be OK. I'm guessing he'll go to the SNL well often, not that that's a bad thing.

Kimmel did this early on as well. It seemed like a rotation of Sarah Silverman, Adam Carolla, David Alan Grier, Kathy Griffin, Dr. Drew, Joel McHale as the show was establishing itself. It's a better idea to surround the host by people they're comfortable with rather than put someone on who nobody has heard of.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Has any late night host debuted that wasn't panned the first few months they were on air?

12. Mizzougrad96

Letterman, Jon Stewart, Colbert... I thought Ferguson was off the radar when he started.

Conan was panned both times. People were predicting quick demises for Kimmel and Fallon.

Draft saved Draft deleted