1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late Night Survey -- Who is Funnier?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jan 25, 2010.

?

Who is Funnier

1. Conan

61.9%
  2. Leno

8.2%
  3. Letterman

29.9%
  1. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Kilborn was the worst thing to ever happen to television. Not funny. Not interesting. Annoying and -- speaking of Dan Patrick -- incredibly egotistical. Good riddance.

Leno is not naturally funny but takes advantage of good writing. Letterman is naturally hysterical but has gotten way too political. I agree that Craig Ferguson is the funniest.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Kilborn was great on 'The Daily Show.' I didn't like the talk show.
    'The Daily Show' was a lot better then.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kilborn got $5 million a year to leave Comedy Central for CBS.

He's my favorite Sportscenter anchor ever and I thought he was great on TDS and The Late, Late show... I'd love to know what he was thinking when he left. I think all he said was "Work on developing projects..."

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Kilborn was great on SC, and his original incarnation of 'The Daily Show' was much better than the Jon Stewart incarnation.
    But I never thought the late-night talk show was a good format for him.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So $25 million ... yeah, I'd walk away, too.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Conan for the win most nights. He's also probably the best writer of the three, imo.

Letterman rules when he tries, but these days (apart from his gleeful beat-down of Jay Leno of late) he doesn't try often enough to make him unmissable.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Good writing on Leno? Seriously?

Surely you saw "Bad Ads" and "10 at 10" and "What They Said, What They Meant" bits during his 10 p.m. run.

Unwatchable.

8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Of the 93 people who've voted so far, 85 think Letterman or Conan are funnier than Leno. That's 91.4 percent.

NBC ran both of them off in favor of Leno. While our voting sample is not a cross-section of the country (I'm assuming mostly male, white, etc.), that still doesn't make much sense.

A former co-worker also had a great idea today: unless NBC prohibited it in the agreement, Conan should go on as Letterman's guest on Leno's first night back at the Tonight Show.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

They're all mildy funnier than passing a kidney stone.

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Um, no, because I haven't watched Leno in years. When he started with The Tonight Show, the writing was the strength, that and the fact that the show is shot in California, where the best guests live. I haven't dreamed of wacthing him in years, and I couldn't even tell you when his 10 p.m. show was on.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Here's a hint: It started after 9:55 p.m. but before 10:05 p.m.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That was awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted