1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT publisher who stood up to Tribune? Gone.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Oct 5, 2006.

1. deportes

deportes Member

i know i'm probably outing myself, but just overheard that dean's left the building, bolting to the post.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, you give us a location, not much beyond that. It's a big place. But you're serious? That's huge news if true.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Frank is right.

Sometimes you have to take a stand. Other times you do it knowing you put your head on the block and your replacement will be all about pleasing the bean counters.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A Times friend of mine just e-mailed me to say that as of an hour ago, this was definitely NOT the case.

Gittery times, man, even anonymously, be careful what you're posting here.

And if it turns out to be true, apologies. But doesn't sound like it...

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Interesting, and you have a legitimate point.

However, if you are in that position, at what point do you say "I can't be a part of this. Because of this circumstance, I can't be a leader in the newsroom."

I don't know the answer, but what effect can Baquet have now? It sounds like a lose-lose situation.

6. sartrean

sartrean Member

I can't believe some of the responses on this thread. Not singling anyone out, but what the fuck do you guys think? It isn't about news, it's about making a fucking dollar. It hasn't changed any from last year, five years ago, 10 years ago, 50 years ago...

Money makes the world go round and everything else, values, integrity, ethics, takes a backseat.

I see why the guy stood up. If I were in that situation, I'd make those money-grubbing fuckers fire me first, so I wouldn't be the one firing a bunch of other helpless suckers. I mean, there ain't no friggin altruism involved in the guy's decision. His "stand" was probably "gutlessness."

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

I may be wrong, but I think he oversaw a few rounds of cuts and finally reached a breaking point. So it's not like he snapped the minute the company asked him to scale back.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

When Johnson arrived, he was thought of as a Tribune lackey and became an ally to the newsroom. Baquet needed (needs) to balance what he could accomplish under another bean counter with taking an ambiguous stand, and the choice (for now) seems to be to keep fighting the Times-still-matters fight. I did hear, though, that the new publisher met with some tough talk among the top managers.

9. Ya know, screw This Journalism Thing. I'm about a whisper away from getting out.

No one gives a damn about your work unless you miss deadline by, like, two minutes, and then they tell you that you have to be a better writer on deadline. This from My Great Management Team That I've Learned Not to Trust About Anything.

I haven't had a Thank You in more than two years, but these Fat Guys in Suits keep trying to find ways to insult me for not Buying Into Their Plan.

It's a shitty little plan. And of course it totally sucks.

Here's what I say: Go Fuck Yourselves, Fat Guys in Suits. You are whoring out your city's newspaper for your own personal gain, and nothing else beyond that. Guess there's something to be said for Sucking the Corporate Dick, but do you Fat Guys in Suits really like everyone else knowing that you Suck the Big Corporate Dick?

Yeah, I'm pissed..............Props to the Studs in Los Angeles who told Tribune Company to take a flying fuck.......Those guys have balls, and they also will have better jobs pretty quick.

10. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Son, you just have the wrong attitiude.

[​IMG]

We'll straighten you out pretty quick. ;)

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

You got to stop holding back your true feelings. Just go ahead and let it all out ;)

12. Somehow I know there are plenty of others who feel like I do.

Let it rip. This is the proper place for it. Keeps you from spewing at the NumbNuts who run these papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted