1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT pressman/blogger says paper will cease printing in 3 years...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Stop the presses?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

|
    |
    |
    |
    <------------------------------------

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The advertising trades I read at the day job all tell the same story. Internet advertising, while cheap, has more consumer resistance and less rate of return than any other form of advertising. That's why marketing is moving so big time into social media and other forms of communication that aren't quite advertising. Print advertising, by contrast, has a known rate of return despite its cost. So unless the LA Times is preparing to equip every subscriber with a free tablet computer so it can mimic print advertising in digital form, this isn't going to work.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Philadelphia Inquirer is selling crappy Android tablets, but who would really buy a crappy tablet? Even the decent Android tablets aren't selling well.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Did I miss something?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sorry, Versatile, I can't see your post over the piles of money I have in front of my monitor.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You didn't. Good point.
    More effectively, the movie industry (production and release) and an auto-maker rebound didn't result in increased advertising at the LAT.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Newspapers will always print in paper form. Enough people still like to read the hard copy. Not as much as they used to, but some sort of hard copy will always exist.

9. fishwrapper

True stamement until: When the production and circulation costs are greater than the revenue.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

i believe We are approaching a time when tablets will be paper thin and will provide texture digitally. I think that will be the finishing point for print completely. The question is whether we can make money off that.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

For tablets to become ubiquitous enough for print (in all forms) to disappear, it will take at least another 20 years. They are too expensive for some people, and others simply won't try them until they are forced to.

Smart phones are hardly ubiquitous at this point.

12. fishwrapper

Twenty years ago the World Wide Web was introduced as a project. And cell phones resembled luggage more than phones.
    Predicting the next five, 10, 20 years -- to me -- is foolhardy.

Draft saved Draft deleted