1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT kills off the local section. Yes, you read that right.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Jan 30, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

this was at the end of a story on the Super Bowl ads.
    Ironic joke or for real?
    Here's the link, that took about 20 minutes to load.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-superbowl-ads2-2009feb02,0,5725828.story

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I can't tell exactly what the whole deal was.

Did Houston Mitchell indeed get laid off, and did a copy editor help him with this farewell shot? Or what?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I am FAIL today, that and reading comprehension escapes me.
    The graf before the editor's note.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gotta be a joke.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The more I read it, the more I agree.

Subtle and smart/smart-ass -- almost too much so, in fact, and very much like something Houston Mitchell would write.

But if it is a joke, it's not one that I would've made. Not these days.

Nobody should be giving anybody any ideas.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, honestly, that's why I wondered about it.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Seems to have been an attempt to play off the content of the last commercial reviewed. I imagine many Times readers didn't see it that way.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow that's depressing.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That just skirts the surface, Beej.

Read the other items and if you grew up reading the Times, you get angry. Flat-out, full-bore pissed-fucking-off at what these douchenozzles have done to one of the greatest journalistic entities in the history of the medium.

We get the Sunday Times because my wife wants the coupons and what passes for local news. I can barely bear to read it anymore and I do so only out of loyalty to folks I know who work there and because it allows me to keep up on LA sports happenings.

It hurts to see an entity like this go down like this. I grew up with this paper, made a point to have the Sunday edition mailed to me when I lived in another state and was lucky enough to toil for one of its community editions for nearly 2 1/2 years.

I also played in a softball league with Russ Stanton -- a good, good guy at the time -- once upon a long time ago. I can't fathom how he would deal with presiding over death by a thousand paper cuts.

The whole thing is disgusting. It's sickening and unnecessary and Eddy Hartenstein's resignation should have been tendered yesterday.

Rant over.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Only one? The way things are going I believe it may be more than one, and probably some mid-sized cities as well.

RIP LAT.

Draft saved Draft deleted