1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT cutting 75 more

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Perhaps . . . . but I guess I've seen way too many print jockeys act like they're the only true journalists. Heard it in newsrooms, read it at this site. And that's what I got from WriteThinking's post.

I definitely don't think calling Tampa Bay the "Devil Rays" is an egrigious enough error to act like the LA Times' online staff doesn't know "traditional ways" of journalism.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed ... but it is symptomatic of a larger problem.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Thanks, buckweaver.

And PR, I don't think I'm smarter than Web staff people.

I think I'm a better reporter, writer and journalist, and would be a better option for writing and/or editing material generated for Web/electronic purposes.

And, I think the better journalism background that I have in comparison to 95 percent of the digital IT/graphic-arts oriented people who have entered the business (without newspaper/journalism experience) in the last five years is wasted by not having me involved in that area -- despite the fact that I've consistently expressed and shown interest in moving in that direction almost from the start, have spent time training for and doing HTML production work, have had regular blogging duties, and have written plenty of online-only stories, notebooks and briefs.

Who gets to edit that stuff these days, though? Who is less likely to be canned these days?...That's right, a younger, even more tech-savvy whiz who otherwise never would have gotten a job at a newspaper at all on the basis of journalistic skills, background or talent.

I don't mean to beat the chest of "traditional" journalism, and I'm one of those people who actually believes newspapers/news-gathering will be around for a while, even if just in a different format.

But one of the problems of this biz right now is a general lack of marriage of these two aspects of the work within newspapers' staffs. This is a result of both training issues/shortcomings, and, I believe, again, the blurring of lines, and the gap that currently exists between what is (or used to be) considered good journalism style and substance, and what is becoming more and more prevalent these days.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

They don't come from the block that's between First and Second, Spring and Broadway.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, OK....we do all that kind of thing in-house, but understand.

6. fishwrapper

There's a chance -- and I don't know the specific contract -- that those blasts may not even come from this country.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Just like calling for a delivery question. ;D

8. fishwrapper

Riiiiiiight.

Draft saved Draft deleted