1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT cutting 75 more

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Oct 27, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Didn't see this anywhere else:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Newsroom staffing at the Los Angeles Times is shrinking again.

Newspaper spokeswoman Nancy Sullivan said Monday that 75 staffers are being laid off in the latest round of cuts.

She declined further comment and would not disclose how many journalists will remain at the paper.

The Times, which is owned by Chicago-based Tribune Co., reduced its overall staff by 250 people last summer, including 150 from the newsroom.

Editor Russ Stanton blamed the cutbacks on the economic slowdown.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Geez, does anyone work at this paper anymore?

3. Stanton's memo, courtesy of LA Observed. Heard there are names in sports ...

Colleagues,
    The growing economic downturn is forcing us to undergo another round of job reductions and cost cuts. I deeply regret to report that today, 75 of our friends, colleagues and capable staff members in Editorial will be told that they are losing their jobs. This is about 10% of our total staff and these cuts are comparable in scale to those made on the business side of The Times last week.

The severance terms being offered to our colleagues are similar to those offered in the other reductions we've faced this year.

I appreciate your patience, understanding and cooperation during this difficult period. Your department heads and the senior editing team, including John, Davan, Meredith and I, are available to hear your concerns and answer any questions.

Russ Stanton
    Editor
    Los Angeles Time

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This was also on LAObserved over the weekend:

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/10/dissing_the_times_from_th.php

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I know of one person affected by these most recent cuts -- heard it from a mutual friend -- and said the guy was completely shocked.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Looks like they're even cutting back on their "cutting back" memos. Three freakin' grafs?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And the descent into irrelevance continues.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Long ago, it was my dream to work at the Times, hopefully covering soccer (this was before MLS even existed, but I had hope).

Hell, it was every young aspiring journalist in LA's dream to work at the Times. One of the country's great places is losing its media voice.

Heartbreaking.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If nothing else, at least the memo is honest. No bullshit about "restructuring" or "right-sizing."

Our colleagues are being told they're losing their jobs.

Simple and to the point.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Amen, PR.

Heard through a good contact that five in sports are on the block.

Depressing, pure and simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted