1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT columnist Lopez's son attacked; incident 'ignored' by cops, hospital

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, May 29, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Which comment is sick? :'( 8)

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This one:

The implication I got is that you think somehow Steve Lopez did something wrong and his son is paying for it. I'd disagree.

I generally respect (if not always agree with) your point of view, and if I misinterpreted this, I'm sorry, but thinking the kid deserved to get beat up because of something you believe his father did wrong is sick.

3. Joe Williams

Nope, didn't mean that one begat the other, in any literal or even karmac sense. Just that here's dad out there trying to help a street person, while some thugs (sort of street types) randomly attack his kid.

More of a "no good deed goes unpunished" sort of thing.

I admit I would have to be ticked off at both the muggers AND the hospital, unlike this victim, but otherwise I'm not making light of what happened. To me, social justice just takes a back seat to regular justice.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I retract my statement.

5. Joe Williams

I just hope the thugs get convicted and are made painfully aware of what time it is, day by day, month by month, year by year. Whether the victim helps put them in the slammer or not.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

FirstDownPirates, I didn't realize you were being sarcastic. My bad.

7. I don't agree with this.

I mean, I'd be very mad at them myself. But there are lots of people who have seen why idiot kids become idiot kids - who have seen real-life versions of Season 4 of The Wire - who believe that nobody truly becomes this way of their own volition.

Of course, to believe that to become violent is what inevitably happens to poor kids, that there is no choice involved, is ridiculous and offensive. But I'm not going to criticize a guy who believes that stupid kids would not be stupid given better lives.

Plus, maybe this "I don't need revenge" attitude helps him deal with the trauma. Whatever helps him deal with the trauma is acceptable to me.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Our culture is much more into violence as entertainment than any other "vices." A 15-year-old kid can spend days on end beating up prostitutes in Grand Theft Auto, but heaven forbid he smells a drop of alcohol or views a naked breast on a movie screen. For some reason it's the violence that we've chosen to look the other way for.

Draft saved Draft deleted