1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last night's out-of-this-world phone call.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Thursday night (actually Friday morning). 1:30 a.m. I've sent the final pages to the plant, just sitting at my desk waiting for the clearance call.

RING RING. It's the outside line, not the plant.

RING RING. OK, I pick it up.

"Daily Grunt Sports, Starman speaking."

(agitated caller)

"Look out the window, man!"

"Look at what?"

"The space station is about to collide with the moon!"

Deep breath.

"Uhh what makes you think that, sir?" ::)

"BECAUSE I CAN LOOK OUT MY WINDOW AND SEE IT, GODDAMN IT! I'M TELLING YOU IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!!"

"Are you sure that's the space station, sir?" (Carefully listening for giveaway smirk or chuckle. No dice. This guy is dead-dog serious.)

"OF COURSE I'M SURE IT'S THE SPACE STATION, I'VE SEEN THE SPACE STATION BEFORE, I KNOW WHAT THE SPACE STATION LOOKS LIKE, GODDAMN IT!!"

"Hang on a minute sir, let me take a look."

Just for fun, I look out a window, and sure enough, there's the moon. And sure enough, there's the planet Jupiter, which does slightly resemble the space station, right next to it.

"OK, sir, I took a look, and I can tell you that's the planet Jupiter next to it."

"Oh no you don't, don't give me that crap, that's the cover story NASA puts out to cover up when the space station goes down in flames. That's the goddamn space station, and it's gonna crash into the moon!!!!!"

(barely able to keep from busting out in hysterical laughter) "You do know, sir, that the moon is 240,000 miles away, and the space station never gets higher than 300 miles from earth?"

"Don't give me that!! I know what I can see with my own eyes!! Now give me the phone number for NASA!!"

"I'm sorry sir, we don't have NASA's direct line on our office speed dial."

"Jesus Christ, I'm gonna call the TV station. Maybe they know a real news story when they see it."

"You go ahead and do that sir. Good night sir."

The phone rings. It's the plant. Pages are done. I can go home.

I head out to the parking lot, glance up at the moon, and Jupiter too. :eek: :D :D

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Find the guy who called, and ask him where he gets his weed.

Then go buy some of it.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I love that his first thought is to call the local newspaper, though. My generation would just write a blog post about it.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You should have picked a random number out of the phone book and given him that when he asked for NASA's number.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only at the Daily Grunt...

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

You didn't remake A1?

You had a winner either way. Either the space station or Planet Jupiter collided with the moon...

7. That's the probelm with you lazy reporters!
    You wouldn't know a story if it crashed into the moon, which by the way cost my kid a scholarship!

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey, Jupiter tries just as hard as the space station.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jupiter collides with the moon "the right way." :D :D

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

This thread (10x) > than all the layoff threads.
    Thanks for the chuckle Starman.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's a helluva lot better than the guy who called last weekend to ask how many dimples are on a golf ball.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I'd probably skip that brand of weed. Probably has a bit too much crystal meth added, for flavor, I suppose.

Draft saved Draft deleted