1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I made it about 20-30 minutes into Poor Things and didn't bother finishing it, which is not like me at all. Usually, I at least finish a movie I start so that I can critique it. I didn't understand the visual choices made by the director. I found them distracting. And the story did not really capture my attention. Maybe it gets better and is worth all the praise it has received. Not sure I'll bother to find out.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It helps if you like Frankenstein stories. The score was nails on a chalkboard to me. The visual grammar took some getting used to. At times I found it a bit precious the same way I find some of Wes Anderson's work.

The best analog I can think of is Anthony Burgess' linguistic acrobatics. In some novels it can be brilliant. There is something elegant and complete about the Nasdat in A Clockwork Orange. It wriggles into your brain and you function almost seamlessly in that world. In other novels, it can be distracting and act as a readerly speed bump.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Love Lies Bleeding. Strange ride but liked it.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I understood the choice, but yeah, the score was a difficult listen.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Oh, gosh. Almost OG Suspiria levels of bad.

And BTW, Burgess' language in A Clockwork Orange is Nadsat, not Nasdat. It is a mix of Russian, Serbian, and English.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

So, sorta like a fundraiser at Mar a Lago.

swingline and OscarMadison like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Happy Breakfast Club Day.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  8. John

John Well-Known Member

There was a time when I could have gone from start to finish quoting every line from Breakfast Club and Fletch. Now, maybe 50% tops.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I watched Road House today and like it. I cut my teeth on the original, so I got all the inside nods.
    Conor McGregor didn't even have to act. His character was a douchebag.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Barbie was fun. Margot Robbie perfect. Great production design and dialogue like this:

Can I talk to a doctor?
    You are talking to a doctor

sgreenwell and OscarMadison like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Godzilla X Kong.

Ridiculously entertaining. Probably better on gummies.

I Should Coco and garrow like this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One Life, oh man that was an emotional ride. Most tears ever for me, probably because I’m a father now and older.

Draft saved Draft deleted