1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I found it pretty terrible. I did laugh once, when Trevor Noah first appeared.

2. An Honest Thief
    Liam Neeson and Kate Walsh.
    Terrible. Skip it. Really bad acting from everyone beside Neeson and Walsh.
    Plot holes and wtf moments throughout.
    Just bad.

3. One of my favorite Bale movies. Love that movie!

bigpern23 and Flip Wilson like this.
  4. Boss Level on Hulu
    Great popcorn flick!!!!
    Highly recommended. Frank Grillo, Mel Gibson ... funny and violent.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Promising Young Woman. Very good film, though not perfect. I liked Fennell's directorial style, particularly the way she often framed Mulligan in the center of the screen. It gave the film an unsettling feeling. However, there were some parts of the film that came off to me as mistakes of an inexperienced filmmaker. The casting was really good, particularly the way they cast actors who typically play "nice guy" roles to fill out the bulk of Cassie's encounters. Carey Mulligan was excellent in the role (I loved the scene between her and Connie Britton) and deserving of her nomination.

I did go back and read Dennis Harvey's critique of the film in Variety, which has been a source of controversy, but honestly, I think his review was pretty spot on. The interpretation of his review that I frequently saw in the backlash was that he said Mulligan "wasn't hot enough for the role" and it should have been Margot Robbie. That's a distortion of what he actually said.

He writes: "Mulligan, a fine actress, seems a bit of an odd choice as this admittedly many-layered apparent femme fatale — Margot Robbie is a producer here, and one can (perhaps too easily) imagine the role might once have been intended for her. Whereas with this star, Cassie wears her pickup-bait gear like bad drag; even her long blonde hair seems a put-on. The flat American accent she delivers in her lowest voice register likewise seems a bit meta ..."

That's a far cry from "Mulligan isn't as hot as Margot Robbie."

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Devil's Gate on Netflix; kind of a creepy thriller set in nowhere land

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Next Round; pretty enjoyable night.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ava on Netflix - great movie. Lots of action.

garrow likes this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I liked the funeral scene in Coming 2 America.

The rest of it? ::sigh::

And I loved the first one.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Sending thoughts and prayers for the time you lost.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Snyder Cut. It was good, no great. But my inner kid who grew up on DC and Super Friends is somewhat biased.
    Sound of Metal last night. I liked it. My wife gave up on it. Unlike anything I’ve seen.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'll probably get to the Snyder Cut next week. I'm curious how it stacks up compared to the Whedon Cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted