1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Should this book be a Netflix series? Does it need that amount of time to tell the story?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Probably, but since they're filming it now I think that ship has long sailed. Two feature length films should be enough.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What a cast, huh? Pictures look interesting.

6. Severian

No? The movie, I've heard, is either going to be really long (four hours) or split into two parts to tell the entire story of the first book. I'm sure if it's successful, they'll make sequels for the other books, which has never been done.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Frozen.

I avoided it for years, but our family is watching one kid-picked movie every Friday evening. Better than I expected, which was a low bar.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Midsommar.
    What the fuck was that? How in the hell is that chunk of crap rocking an 83 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes?

9. Severian

Ford v Ferrari: 5/5

Had a blast watching this movie. The acting, cinematography and sound were top notch.

How did it hurt you?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It stole 2 1/2 hours of my life and made my wife mad at me for picking such a shitty, boring movie.
    I'm pissed because I bought into the hype and then spent 2 1/2 hours of my life telling myself, "OK, this will get better, give it time, there will be a payoff," and then there never was. It was 2 1/2 hours of acid-fueled hippies dancing around in circles and screaming. None of the mysteries had any big reveals. Most of the deaths were pointless, since almost all of the characters were totally unlikable. Dani is a first-ballot entry for the bitchy/wet blanket girlfriend hall of fame. Guilts her boyfriend into letting her come along on a guys' trip, gets seduced by Swedish Stan, and then goes on a power trip and sentences her boyfriend to die in a fire for cheating on her.

Pelle and Ingomar, the two characters who basically groomed these people to bring them to their deaths, are never fleshed out to their full menacing (or in Ingomar's case, tragic) potential. Their arcs never reach anything resembling a satisfying conclusion.
    The only time there was a sense of menace in this movie was when Josh gets killed around the halfway point -- right about the time you're ready to bail on it, so it cons you into watching the rest of it waiting for the pace to pick up -- and it's revealed that Mark is also dead. That was creepy. But the plot thread never goes anywhere. The only payoff we get is one passing, blink and you'll miss it shot near the very end of the movie.
    For fuck's sake, not even a dozen women doing full frontal nudity in a bizarre hippie orgy could save this piece of shit.

Did I mention that it was TWO AND A HALF HOURS LONG!!?? It would have been utterly forgettable if it was a slimmed-down 90-100 minutes. At 2 1/2 hours it just makes me realize I could have watched "Walk Hard" for the 10th time and enjoyed myself instead of enduring this mess of a movie, and will forever live in infamy.
    In our house, there is a definitive consensus on the three worst movies my wife and I have ever watched together -- Rubber, The Grudge, and Thankskilling. Midsommar is making a hard push to crack that top three.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You two actually watched Rubber?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Showtime has been running The American President lately. Of course, I'm a fan. It was the precursor to The West Wing. The cast is excellent and there is a good mix of humor with the political and personal drama. Sure, Aaron Sorkin is a bit too much in love with the power of rhetoric, but I'm okay with that.

I caught the end today and thought of it differently than I had before. I left it thinking that for all the uplifting excitement over the big speech at the end, Andrew Shepard would have lost his bid for re-election. He was already hurting in the polls and he just threw out a huge piece of legislation to push for a version of a crime bill that would never pass. "I'm going to get the guns." Nice rhetoric, but not winning rhetoric in this country. I'm actually okay with that ending to a point, but it doesn't fit the uplifting tone of the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted