1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Uncut Gems.

Would love discussion of it with anyone else who's seen it but not sure if it's widely released yet and tough to discuss without spoilers. So will just say, intense, but I liked it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Rian Johnson's work, seen everything he's done, and I guess the trailer to Knives Out made it seem like it would be zippier - it's no slog, but it is a leisurly paced 2 hours, and probably closer to Johnson's Brick than Clue. Part of the problem with these types of movies is you end up imagining some stuff and when it doesn't go down that way - you're kind of disappointed. Still a good movie though.

PS - I realize the "In A World" guy has long departed, but every preview they showed ahead of Knives Out went without any voice over - it was all just cuts from the film. When did that happen?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is a pretty good movie, but a fairly specific "artist" marriage. There's a key scene - the one everyone talks about - where they really have it out, and it's pretty clear why the marriage collapsed, who was to blame for it and how emotionally immature that person is. (They grow by the movie's end.)

It also veers close to a play at times, especially one monologue that's too on the nose with the writing. But it's interesting.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just Mercy advance preview; heartbreaking. Amazing to think I was in Ala for two weeks when the murder trial occurred.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet, but I will. Probably more than once.

6. DanOregon

6 Underground is Michael Bay asking himself - How can I make the most Michael Bay movie ever. The opening car chase alone lasts 20 minutes, has about six different music stings and probably the highest death toll in the opening 20 minutes since Saving Private Ryan.

And then there is Dolemite Is My Name...

Geez - Eddie Murphy is so good in it. Everybody is good in it. It's funny as hell and manages to have a depth to it without having to stop all the fun for a beat or two like you see in an Apatow movie. One of those great movies you wonder why it took so long to make.
    I just wish Netflix added all the Dolemite movies for people to watch after seeing this.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched "Joker" tonight and ... damn. That was art. I need a little time to let it sink in, but it was excellent, and even a little terrifying as social commentary. It's also far and away the best DC Films production to date. They won't do it with Pattinson's Batman film coming up, but if they followed "Joker" up directly with a Todd Phillips Batman film to set up a third Batman/Joker finale, it could be an incredible trilogy.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wasn't the most Michael Bay movie ever part of the actual advertising campaign for 6 Underground?

9. DanOregon

Probably - I will say the stunt work and camera work is top notch. Found it funny during the car chase scenes how many people were shown flipping the bird at the cars that nearly killed them.

10. DanOregon

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

God bless the Irish. This is just well done.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. DanOregon

I wonder if it is that it is a bad film multiplied by people's love of the stage show that is generating the harsh reviews.

Draft saved Draft deleted