1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Ford v. Ferrari was really solid entertainment. Well-acted, funny, resonant.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Dark Water....great compelling story. Tim Robbins does a nice turn. Mostly realistic. I could nitpick but just ignored things.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Saw "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" yesterday with my fiance and my 11-year-old daughter. It was masterfully done. Didn't know beforehand that it'd been based on a Tom Junod story that ran in Esquire back in the 1990s. I went in thinking the whole movie was going to be about Mr. Rogers (as played pitch perfect by Tom Hanks) but it centered instead on Matthew Rhys (of "The Americans") and how interviewing Mr. Rogers for an Esquire feature on heroes helped him come to grips with his own pent-up anger about his family's past. I was tearing up a lot throughout. It really struck the perfect balance between explaining Mr. Rogers (who, from all indications, was EXACTLY in real life as he appeared on the show) and how broken people look at such exemplars with a gimlet eye.

It's gonna win some hardware come awards time. Hanks, Rhys and Chris Cooper (as Rhys's dad) will almost certainly get nominated, though it'll be interesting to see where Hanks and Rhys get slotted. Neither is really the lead, but neither is really supporting.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Liut likes this.
  4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Watched “Parasite” with my son, yesterday. It’s a Korean film with subtitles and the movie was well-made enough that I quickly forgot I was reading them. Its commentary on class difference and privilege was sophisticated and the plot was unpredictable. My son, a bit of a film student, liked it even more than I did.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How scary-movie is it?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

As far as gore, in a fairly short section of the movie, there is some moderately bloody stabbing and bludgeoning.

The scary part of the movie is mainly tension of the main characters’ con being discovered. That is conveyed with humor as much as horror.

The haunting parts are the themes of social order portrayed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Ready or Not was well-done and rather funny (although the resolution was pretty weak). Samara Weaving was awesome and should get some more high-profile roles.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I can’t imagine why anyone in any marriage would watch this movie together. If you’re lucky, she would only pick a fight for five days after it.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My wife wanted to watch it because highly acclaimed. I believe we both trust our marriage so much that we don’t feel threatened by any of the issues.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good!!

But if this is the equivalent of throwing the ball up 5 with 2:15 left when the other team is out of time outs.

Draft saved Draft deleted