1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That goes back to the idea that his response is lazy and lacks merit, which is the absolute truth if I am right in my supposition that he hasn't seen them.

2. outofplace

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True. But the same is true of James Bond.

Different directors, different approaches, but in the end they're all (still? only?) James Bond movies.

I think Coppola's concern is how these mega franchises crowd out other kinds of moviemaking.

So maybe we have to temper our upset with the understanding that Coppola, 80, came of age in Hollywood when the old system was collapsing and lots of art was being made by auteurs even at the major studios.

I don't think he's concerned with audience tastes so much as he is with what gets greenlighted now and what doesn't. Ie., what doesn't get made because of the superhero monoculture.

Which doesn't even address the challenges of getting a 21st century audience into a theater, as opposed to watching at home on a 65" bigscreen. Everything has changed.

Interesting question across the years: could 'Godfather,' or 'Apocalypse Now' get made as movies in 2019?

4. outofplace

I'm not upset by what Coppola said. I am making fun of him and the ignorance in which his comments are deeply rooted. If you're going to offer that type of criticism, you should have seen more of the movies than he has watched.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Saw the new Terminator today. I liked it but I've also liked every one since the first. So, yeah.

Still, I thought it was amazing that they killed John Connor off so quickly. Yeah, they turned him into a terminator in the last one - and it's sad I know and care - but it was just... so dismissive. You have to wonder how much grief Edward Furlong gave the producers for permission to use his likeness. It feels like it bled over into the narrative.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

On MCU and DC...the Art produced in those is light years ahead of the current garbage on the radio.

I don’t know what Scorsese’s carping about. He makes whatever he wants.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Are Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola Right About Marvel? (Column)

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's not a binary choice and it's disingenuous to frame it that way.

9. Regan MacNeil

Couldn't think of another place to post this: Beaker as Eraserhead. @DanielSimpsonDay

[​IMG]

10. Autopsy of Jane Doe ... based on recommendations from the scary movie thread. It was enjoyable.

Also,
    Has Brian Cox ever been in a movie where he survives?

11. Regan MacNeil

Super Troopers.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Dolemite Is My Name. Just fantastic. Eddie has been out of circulation for way too long.

Just loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted