1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Caught "The Shape of Water" this past week while on vacation. Extremely well-done movie, but very odd. I agree that Octavia Spencer, at least in the movies I've seen, plays the same character.

I got lost on the subplot with the doctor guy. I was watching it in a different country so the Russian language part, which I guess at subtitles in English originally, was subtitled in both Latvian and ... Russian. So I was completely lost on that part until I read the Wiki plot later. I also missed the translations of some of the signs, but they were easier to figure. Especially the "she said 'thank you'" sign.

On the flight, I watched "Creed" again. It's become my go-to flight on movies, and I've probably seen it 8-9 times on flights. I really enjoy it and totally missed it when it was in theaters. I saw the threads about it, but never put together that "Creed" meant Apollo Creed.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Terry Gross interviewed Trejo a couple of weeks ago on "Fresh Air". Really good and interesting. It'll be up on her web site if you're interested.

He got into movies as an extra, and moved up into playing gang members and the like. He tells of someone asking him "Aren't you afraid of getting typecast as the mean tough guy?" and said he thought about it a second and then said "I *am* the mean tough guy." Made me laugh aloud the way he delivered it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just saw ‘Shape if Water.’
    Enjoyed it very much but I’m surprised by the mainstream acclaim.
    Although very good, much lesser work than ‘Pan’s Labrynth’ or even ‘Devil’s Backbone.’

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The clips make it seem like an artsy remake of "Splash."

6. Rewatched
    LA Confidential .. still great. One of my all-time favorite movies.
    How did Guy Pearce never get above B Movie stardom? He has Billy Zane disease. Also loved Pearce in the remake of the Time Machine.

Kill the Irishman. Forgot I had already seen it. Still good. Hard to beat a good gangster flick.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Spoilers:

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

LBJ - seemed like half a movie. Or closer to a TV movie. At this point though, I think we're beyond being disappointed by Rob Reiner movies. His heyday were films written by Nora Ephron, Aaron Sorkin and William Goldman. He won't mess up a good script, but he won't improve a mediocre one.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Last night As part of our family’s attempt to catch up on films that we’ve heard about but never seen, we watched “Dazed and Confused” and discovered that it was a very small hole in our movie history that we didn’t really need to fill.

SFIND likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Watched A Quiet Place today .... I liked it.

I thought there was a little too much of a tell at the end, with the daughter and her staring at the "WHAT IS THE WEAKNESS" deal. It was sort of already revealed at that point. Felt like they were trying to hit us over the head with it.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

A Quiet Place was good. It was a better version of Signs. There were, however, some spots where it asks you to gloss over a few things (including one thing in the beginning that I hope all of us in newspapers would catch).

My biggest issues with the creatures who hunt on sound are with two facts. First the creatures can hear you drop a picture frame from your basement while they are hundreds of yards away and if you have to be so quite that the kids can't play monopoly with the normal tokens then why couldn't the monsters hear them breathing? Why couldn't they hear heartbeats when they are in the same room? Also if the answer was high-pitched sound, how didn't the scientists of the world figure that out in the beginning? Once they determined the creatures hunted by sound (which was apparently early enough in the invasion that newspapers were still being delivered) then how come no one thought to try blasting sounds at them? We have species here on earth already that have acute hearing so they should have known certain frequencies can disorient or disable. That said, I loved the complication that the mom goes into labor, but as my wife mentioned, they missed a potential opportunity for conflict when the family learns she's pregnant. I didn't mind the daughter staring at the board at the end because they did a good job setting up the high frequency answer already she just needed to put two and two together.

Draft saved Draft deleted