1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Lebowski is one of the 3 movies I would take to a deserted island.........Caddyshack and Blazing Saddles are the other 2. (Airplane is a close 4th.)

MTM likes this.
  2. HELLLLLLL NO! I am not watching this!

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Watched "Passengers" and thought it was better than I'd been led to believe. Good acting. For the sake of entertainment, I usually overlook the absurd stuff, like Pratt being able to fix and run the whole ship.
    Then I returned to the fun stuff and watched "In Like Flint" again. I always really liked those secret agent movies. James Coburn as Derek Flint and Dean Martin as Matt Helm. Cool dudes.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I watched "The Paper Chase," a 1973 movie that I'd never seen starring Timothy Bottoms, Lindsay Wagner (who I hardly knew was ever in anything other than "The Bionic Woman") and John Houseman, in a tour de force performance.

Houseman was the real star of the film, which was good, and held my attention throughout. But I thought the ending, with Bottoms' character making his Harvard law-test results into a paper airplane and flying it into the ocean at the beach, was kind of weak.

I thought the ending would have been better off sooner -- at the point where Bottoms' character was in the elevator with Houseman's, and the former tries to thank the latter for his teaching efforts and say how much the class meant to him, only to have Houseman's impersonal-professor character ask the student, "What was your name, again?"

Liut likes this.
  5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Loved that scene. Loved the movie. Loved the TV series, even. Loved Houseman most of all.

As for the ending, relative to the movie's title and theme, I liked it.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Watched the Emoji Movie with the 3 goddaughters the other day. It's been ravaged 7 ways till Sunday.

But it's not the worst thing out there. It had its message and a few funny lines/moments.

7. The Founder.
    The story of Ray Kroc and McDonalds. Really enjoyed it.
    Keaton was great and Nick Offerman was every bit his equal as one of the McDonald bros.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Flight" with Denzel Washington. Wasn't expecting much but thought it was darned good.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That was a great movie -- one of the lesser-known ones starring Denzel Washington -- but I really enjoyed it, too.

That pre-crash scene with the intentionally inverted airliner flying at the camera, upside-down, was amazing. Perhaps no surprise with Washington, John Goodman and Bruce Greenwood in the movie, the actual "acting" dramatic scenes were really good, too. It was engrossing.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Greenwood was excellent, as usual, and they used exactly the right amount of Goodman.

Had no idea until some post-movie Googling that the upside-down maneuver was loosely based on an Alaska Airlines crash where the pilots tried the same thing. No one survived.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

haven't seen it as yet, but just off the top of my head, I can't remember too many bad film choices by Denzel.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I didn't like the ending. Seemed too simple and easy.

Iron_chet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted