1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Loved "Ex Machina." Quite a debut for Alicia Vikander and more good work from Oscar Isaac.

Watched "Straight Outta Compton" last night and, to borrow from Ice Cube, damn that shit was dope.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The pacing of "Ex Machina" is fantastic for a very talkie movie. And as I alluded to above, the plot is so clean and uncluttered. It was a pretty sparse movie - almost could have been a play.

Ace and bigpern23 like this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

"The Winning Season," which is about 7 years old and stars Sam Rockwell and Emma Roberts. Mostly believable depiction of a small school girls basketball team, but it got a little outlandish in the third act. Would have been a fun team cover, anyway.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Pulp Fiction.

I can see why the critics loved it. At the end, it at least made sense. Didn't exactly leave me raving.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Saw The Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling. Thought the dialogue was really good. Some funny stuff was slid in there. But a lot of the action was over the top and Gosling's drunken Laurel & Hardy riff on seeing a dead body was out of place. Funny, enjoyable but the pieces didn't quite fit.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Finally watched "The Hustler" last night from start to finish. Just fantastic, of course. Been on a mini-Paul Newman kick lately, watched "The Verdict" a couple weeks ago and "The Color of Money", the latter of which I watch just about every other year.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Blasphemy!

For my money, it's the seminal movie for my generation, and unquestionably Tarantino's master work.

It hits all of his notes without getting too over-the-top Tarantino-ish like his later works do.

HC likes this.
  9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Saw that as well and agree with your assessment. Loved the part about the last thing you see before you die being Richard Nixon.

Ace likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The more times I see that movie the less I like it. It has all his dialogue flourishes and clever plot turns, but there is nothing there. Reservoir Dogs has much more drama in it. Pulp Fiction just is a string of violence and good dialogue that it is well shot.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Yeah, picked it on Netflix because I've seen all the various references (one of the local sports talk guys opens his weekend show with the "Ezekiel" line) and because it was "one of the classics." I didn't think it was bad, just not my kind of flavor. The violence and drugs didn't offend me but it didn't add anything for me. The first 45 minutes really didn't do much for me, though I thought the Harvey Keitel "cleaner" part through the ending was pretty good. Like I said, didn't think it was bad, just realized I'm not a Tarantino guy.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not alone in loving and recommending 'Cool Hand Luke' to any and all. You've probably already seen it.
    Also check out 'Sometimes a Great Notion,' an under-appreciated movie, based on an under-appreciated novel by Ken Kesey.

Draft saved Draft deleted