1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It is a good idea. I'd watch it.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Recently joined the Hulu revolution and stumbled across Page One on the documentaries section. Fascinating look at the NYT and David Carr in particular as they covered the series of newspaper collapses.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Live By Night
    Was the wife's pick for her birthday movie. She loves the old timey gangster movies. Sees them all. This is a Ben Affleck one. Must be something WB let him make in exchange for doing Batman.

I thought it was just another Boston Irish mob movie, but it switched gears when he got to Tampa. .... Tampa. I shit you not.

Anyway, I thought the story was a bit of a mess. But it was based on a novel. No idea how much it deviates. I feel Argo is a stronger Affleck movie.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Watched Nightcrawler based on some comments here.

I thought it was a terrific film. Excellent job by Jake G.

I particularly liked how he was so smart and could really seem to talk a good game, but no one bought his shit. But they didn't hit you over the head with that and try to explain him.

Also the scenes when Rene Russo seems to get all hot and bothered by crime footage was an interesting commentary on local TV news.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Took the kids to see Hidden Figures yesterday. Subtle it wasn't, but a really enjoyable and positive movie.

Donny in his element and Fly like this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"Moonlight" a well done portrayal of the obstacles a black kid faces in growing up with very little to hang on; barely even a friend. Hit me hard.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Agreed. Saw it on MLK Day with a crowded, racially- and age-diverse audience. Ended with applause. Definitely a feel-good empowerment vibe.

Webster likes this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Our theater was majority African-American, and there were 6-8 applause moments during the movie.

As I said, it was very broadly written and the subtle moments (both races watching Glenn on TV) were better. However, Mrs. W cried at a bunch of the sappy moments, so I guess I'm too cynical to be in the target demo.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Saw Arrival on MLK Day, and the theater was about 3/4ths full despite the movie having had been released several weeks ago.

It's great; vibes on Close Encounters. I won't give much away, but I found it interesting that we never see an American President in any scene...can't recall another alien invasion movie where we don't.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Took my 4-year-old to see "Sing" yesterday - well, technically, I took him to see "Moana," but it was no longer playing - and there was a good reason we were literally the only people in the theater. It was pretty awful.

Two-hour running time was too long by at least 30 minutes. There were too many characters for the viewer to really connect with any of them and one - a rat named Mike - was really an unredeemable asshole. Matthew McConaughey's Buster Moon is the only character who was given enough screen time to really shine and I thought he was excellent. His weird assistant Ms. Crawley barely registered a laugh, despite the clear intention for her to provide comic relief.

Taron Egerton's character Johnny was likable, but again, he didn't get enough screen time to develop properly, particularly with respect to his relationship with his gang-leader father.

The music was enjoyable, but that's and McConaughey were all the film had going for it. One star out of five.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Saw a free preview of Split last night.

M Night dupes us again. Don't bother.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I hate that movie solely because of the goddamn Happy Meal toys at McDonald's that my kids can't get enough of.

Jake_Taylor and bigpern23 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted