1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched "Hell or High Water" tonight and enjoyed it. In much the same way Michael Mann made the city of Los Angeles a character in "Heat," David Mackenzie made West Texas a character in this film. The acting was excellent throughout and it was shot beautifully. It is slow, which reflects the character of the geography, but the final confrontation between Bridges and Pine sealed it for me. If not for the payoff, I'd have probably rated this film 2.5 or 3 stars out of five (I usually rate the movies after I stream them), but that last scene was brilliantly done and made it a solid 4 stars for me.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Good Morning Vietnam is disjointed, moving between Williams' comedy bits and a pretty heavyhanded storyline. It's funny, but not a well written story.

Ace likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My favorite movie of the year so far.

Good note about West Texas being a character (even though the movie was filmed in New Mexico).

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That was kind of the entire point of the movie. Cronauer came to Vietnam to try to add whatever levity he could to a horrific situation, and it won him a lot of admiration.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That may be the point, but it doesn't mean it was well executed.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought it was, though the only parts I've ever watched again were the comic bits. I really liked Kirby's performance.

Gremlins did not age well at all. I enjoyed it at the time, but it does not really hold up today.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Knight of Cups
    After 2 hours, I'm not sure anything happened or if there was a story at all.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that, but I like Malick.
    You're description makes it sound like an extended TWD episode.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My kids dragged me out to see Doctor Strange during the long weekend. It was ... well, strange. But they had me when they introduced the title character to Earth Wind and Fire's "Shining Star." Good stuff.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

There is no dialogue. Everything is said in voice over by the characters, plus there's a narrator. It's different.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree on "Good Morning Vietnam." I like it, and laugh at some of the lines. But that's because I also know about the history of the timeperiod. Someone today may see the movie and not get most of the jokes.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You know, he was, and you see that movie (which was really...depressing) and it gets you to wondering how he was so good in it.

The guy could see the darkest corners of life. Much the same in The Night Listener.

QYFW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted