1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last hurrah for Lena Dunham's website

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 19, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think she caught the twin waves of social media and female empowerment dead-nuts on. She's like Bill Simmons in a way. Saw the course of things before anyone else did and took advantage that seems puzzling in retrospect, now that lots of people do the same thing, some of them better. Being first counts.

Hermes likes this.
  2. typefitter

Thinking of Terry Crews and then seeing DD's post here... That's a tough line to find, when you can talk about yourself in really honest ways and seem genuine and relatable, but not tip into narcissism.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure Hillary did super well with the Brooklyn voting block with Dunham as her sidekick.....

KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. LIKE, THE WHOLE AUDIENCE. FROM MAINE TO SAN DIEGO. FROM SEATTLE TO MIAMI.

AND EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN!

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm not sure either. I wonder how famous she'd be if not for this board.

5. typefitter

I'll never forget when she won her Golden Globe and thanked "SportsJournalists.com, for making me a thing."

garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, I chuckled, but....she was never a thing except for the smallest sliver of hipsters and women. And at first glance, she is offputting to Joe Sixpack.

To say anything except that she was a terrible choice to be front and center for Hillary would just be wrong, IMO.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. typefitter

Oh, I don't disagree. She doesn't change a single person's mind about Hillary. Nobody voted for her because of Lena Dunham's support. Lots of people might have been turned off. You need crossover appeal in your celebrity endorsements. Taylor Swift going Democrat this round, and publicly, is the kind of thing that might move needles.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because HBO and the New York Times made her one.

I don’t begrudge her any of it. She’s smart and talented enough. But she never was that big of a thing. She was big in a certain bubble.

Culture and art critics and journalists and creators of art have to be thoughtful. They’ve never - ever - been quite this out of touch with the world at large as they are right now.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, I thought she was Amy Schumer and Amy Schumer was Jennifer Lawrence until this board.

10. typefitter

So who was Lena Dunham? Jennifer Lawrence?

*head explodes*

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I had never seen her until this board. I was like, “wait, is that her? Then who the hell is the blonde? Oh, ok, then what does Jennifer Lawrence look like? Wow, ok, now I see why guys were so excited that she had nudes leaked.”

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Plus Lena Dunham's been cast in the next X-Men movie.
    Just adding to the confusion

Draft saved Draft deleted