1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lasorda portrait in National Gallery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 23, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We find rare common ground on this one Dave. There's a former national columnist I respect greatly who once told me the three guys he covered whose reputations are far removed from the reality of their douchness were Lasorda, Valvano and Earnhardt Sr.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ahem. Aren't you forgetting someone?

[​IMG]

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Never dealt with either Knight or Lasorda personally... just know of them from afar. But they both just seem like major-league tools.

Knight, especially ... I work in Indiana, and 10 years after they canned his ass, the guy's still a god down here. I've heard similar things about Dale Sr. Valvano, not so much. It just amazes me that these guys can be such asshats and still have legions of Kool-Aid swilling sycophants... some of those in our profession, unfortunately.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Did you forget about Lee Elia's tirade?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The thing about Garvey is that I think most people saw him as fake and plastic at a certain point, even if he cultivated a BS image for a very short time. How many people are really fooled about Garvey? When he went through his divorce--because he had made himself so high profile and sold himself as the second coming of Ronald Reagan Christ--I vaguely remember a lot of negative media coverage (I was still fairly young) and it isn't like people don't know about the paternity suits and the FTC suing him. He sold himself as the "don't drink, no drugs, no swearing, family man," and it worked for a short time, but people did figure out he was a hypocrite and full of it. Garvey is pretty unlikeable. Some people can go through the beating he has (and there have been a lot of negative things about him) and come out forgiven because they are inherently likable. But Garvey? Who really is fooled by him.

Have people by and large figured out Lasorda, though?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think people don't want to figure him out. Like it messes up their simple world view. Pete Rose always seemed to get far more latitude than his actions warranted, too. people wanted to believe in Charlie Hustle like they wanted to believe in Santa Claus.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An epic mooch of a douche. Short arms, deep pockets, and zero class.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Garvey is not in that class. Garvey was a serial sperm donor while the world viewed him as the All-American boy, but Lasorda was a mean-spirited, manipulative prick who hid behind the bubbly "I bleed Dodger blue" bullshit in public.

I once saw a young reporter on a day pass approach Garvey after a Dodger loss and proceed to ask him a long written list of questions about the role Little League plays in a player's development. Garvey sat for the whole thing and gave him the best answers he could. Lasorda would've made an ass of the kid for the amusement of everyone else.

One of the reasons I'm not a fan of the Kingman rant is after about three seconds, it becomes Tommy intent on humiliating the guy who asked the question. He's not really pissed -- if you listen he says goodbye to someone named Joe in mid-rant -- but he keeps the show going because he has an audience.

Tommy is a no-good bastard 24/7. Garvey was a bad husband.

9. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Not to mention no mention of a blumpkin.

Now that would have been a great portrait.

Draft saved Draft deleted