1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Las Vegas Review Journal suing people who post articles online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I read it as the judge saying Stephens Media needs to do its own legal work, instead of farming it out to RightHaven.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, sure, if you're going to limit yourself to one succinct sentence when I went to the effort of two long ones interrupted by semicolons :)

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I had to rewrite it so you wouldn't sic RightHaven on me.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RightHaven also got bitch slapped recently after going after a mildly autistic kid's blog on behalf of the Denver Post.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Others who get religious about the definition of irony can clarify for me, but a company getting slapped in court for glomming on to someone else's rights -- while trying to prevent others from glomming on to that same entity's rights -- seems to qualify.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Righthaven's business model smells a lot like extortion to me.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This asshole company has had its assets seized:

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2011/nov/01/marshals-ordered-seize-righthaven-assets/

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I can't just take an entire article from the New York Times and run it verbatim in my paper without permission, or without subscribing to NYT syndication services, even if I note it is from the New York Times.

That would be a pretty clear-cut case of copyright infringement. Why should the Internet be any different?

Our paper's general rule of thumb is, if you want to cut-and-paste a couple of key grafs as a teaser and provide a link to our stuff, that's awesome. You're doing us a valuable service and we thank you.

You cut-and-past the entire article, thus removing all incentive to visit our website for the information we've collected? You're going to be hearing from us, if we find out. Because you're stealing our reporters' work without permission.

9. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

The domain has been auctioned off. It looks like Righthaven is no more.

http://domainnamewire.com/2012/01/06/righthaven-com-sells-for-3300/

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Linking to an article is stealing content?

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's how I always do it in my blogs and other postings.

Put enough of the article up to give a taste, then link.

12. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Back in May the the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit put Righthaven down for good. It seems they really are now done.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/copyright-troll-righthaven-finally-completely-dead/

Draft saved Draft deleted