1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Las Vegas Review-Journal/Dan Wheldon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Jesus, as people in an industry that knows and understands the pinch of time and money, this is being a little nitpicky. The story is there. Read it.

Are you going to write a letter to the editor, too?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The preview of a race in which a driver was killed is a story about THAT DRIVER'S TEAM being winners no matter what happens.

Eight hours after the wreck, and it's the top story? And you call that nitpicky?

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

For the most part, I agree with what you're saying. The paper has the story up and that's the most important thing. But the fact that at nearly 2 a.m. where I live on a Monday morning, the site still has the preview as the main story does seem a little off. Had something even more important in Vegas happen between the crash and the time the screen shot was taken, then I'd understand, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It's the reason you have online editors.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Also I'm calling bullshit on this.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It could be any number of reasons, including just plumb forgetting to take down the other story. Or just forgetting to code up the breaking story with whatever needed to put it on the front page. Shit happens.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Really?

7. Baron Scicluna

Of course it's the reason you have online editors.

Problem is, a lot of papers don't have online editors. The reporters and copy editors ARE the online editors.

8. Baron Scicluna

Yes, really. If you're loading up 20 stories at the end of the night, posting other breaking news, and oh yeah, putting out a paper, sometimes stuff gets forgotten about. It happens.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya know, the business would be in better shape if so many people who purport to love it weren't so quick to make excuses. This was inexcusable. Again, you have a huge event in your town and someone dies in the process, you stay on top of it. If that means using every resource you have, that's what you do. You do the best with what you have; you don't fuck up and then rationalize it.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Baron is right when he said that shit happens ... everywhere. If it doesn't happen at your paper, let me know the name of it and I'll start a subscription today.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Exactly. The story was appropriate to have at the top before or even during the race. But when news of the fatality came out, the new news should have been up top right away. Wire story, staff brief, whatever. Sam's driver was killed. I doubt he felt like a winner Sunday night.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's not the point. Of course mistakes happen. Everywhere. To everyone. But this is a BIG mistake, and to make excuses or say, literally, "Shit happens" is a terrible attitude to have. I've made plenty of mistakes, and certain ones that were far less significant ate at me for a long time. Are people so bitter about the state of the business that they can no longer bring themselves to care about the quality of the work?

Draft saved Draft deleted