1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Las Vegas Mayor Disses NBA 'hip-hopper' Fans - *Update* - The Original Source

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 14, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: Las Vegas Mayor Disses NBA 'hip-hopper' Fans

This is true, but you have to find a different way to express it, right Mayor Hardaway? ;)

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rufino gets it, with one important caveat:

That town WILL NOT support a loser, for long. WILL. NOT.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That makes sense. With showgirls, gambling and legal prostitution, why go see a crappy NBA team, ESPECIALLY if you can't bet on them. :)

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Prostitution is actually illegal in Clark County (LV, proper). Doesn't mean you can't help but trip over hookers (both pros and amatuers) at selected bars at virtually every major resort.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Huh, I didn't realize that. I'll have to cross that off of my "To Do List" for my next Vegas jaunt. Don't want to break the law or anything. ;)

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ben, how far do you have to travel from downtown LV to leave Clark County? I'm curious about this, and how often tourists do this so they can legally solicit a prostitute. Is this a common question, and a common occurrence?

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: Las Vegas Mayor Disses NBA 'hip-hopper' Fans - *Update* - Wilbon on the Even

Here's Wilbon's Friday article on 'Black Thanksgiving:'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/15/AR2007021501963_pf.html

Wilbon does a good job giving the large-scale view of the event, and
    it's numerical impact (how many people are going). This helps to put
    into context what the mayor said, and why he said it (dealing with
    200,000 extra people in your city is no picnic).

But it was still a foolish statement.

Wilbon doesn't take on the mayor's comment, of course. Wilbon remains a good spokesman for the NBA. ABC/ESPN was wise to lock him up to a new contract, primarily for NBA duties.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: Las Vegas Mayor Disses NBA 'hip-hopper' Fans - *Update* - The Original Sourc

Ok, here's the original source of the LV mayor's quote:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/sun/2007/feb/12/566651601.html?oscar%20goodman

I was wondering why no major outlets had picked this up, and now it's more clear: It was overheard at a business lunch, and it's not on tape and can likely be denied or embellished, although the author of the piece did ask the mayor about it several days later, as she says.

9. Let's all give thanks. At least the jewelery stores at Fashion Show Mall weren't hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted