1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lars Anderson's SI piece on Tuscaloosa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, May 19, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I read it last night when I got my copy of the magazine in, and I thought it was a pretty striking piece on how the UA athletes dealt with the tornadoes and their aftermath. Sure, there were far more than just UA athletes affected by the storms, but it was a nice take.

The only things I may've noticed is that I think there were a few issues with first references. I don't remember seeing a first reference for Anthony Grant or the gymnast's boyfriend -- just the last names. Probably just an issue of an edit without the first names restored later in the story -- or maybe just my lazy eyes missing something.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Read it and and came away with mixed emotions about the fact that he made us wait till end of article to see outcome of narrative at beginning. (I am being vague for those who have not read)

It struck me as odd for a news type story to have a catch to it that required you to read entire story.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Grover tried to do this once, too. He failed:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Boom_70

The comparison would have been to read a story about Bin Laden mission and having to wait till end to find out his fate.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So, Boom, it used the technique often described as storytelling, yes?

6. Boom_70

In part yes, but in this case I did not think it was warranted. Just my opinion. I'm sure most will feel different. Perhaps I went into the article with the wrong mindset.

7. I really liked Anderson's decision to break up the drama in this case. Thought it was the best part of the piece. To be honest, I wasn't crazy about the writing in the top section; it was a little too detail-heavy for me in some places. Then the end justified that detail (at least for the most part) because the long snapper probably has those images seared into his mind and always will.

I don't know that I thought it was a masterpiece, but it was very well done and topical from a writer who, as a Birmingham resident, certainly understands the local sentiment and has the chops to craft it into a matter of national interest.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It took me a week to finally read this. I still wasn't ready.

Y'all are welcome to debate the style points. I'm still bawling like a baby.

9. Jason King

Jason King New Member

I thought this was an incredible piece. Really moved me and it didn't feel overwritten. I agree that too many useless details can often clog up a story, but I didn't feel like that was the case here. The ending, in my opinion, was the most powerful part of the story. Nice job, Lars. Must've been extremely difficult report/write.

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I think Anderson's tone with the opening narrative left enough of a clue to suggest what the outcome was.

11. Boom_70

I thought that to, but felt it made the story seem a little gimicky.

Again, just my opinion.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

A bit of inside baseball here:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/05/tuscaloosa_tornado_reporters_d.html

Nice way to get your journalism career kick-started - assisting with interviews on an SI cover story.

Draft saved Draft deleted