1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lars and the Real Girl - Great

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, May 23, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just saw this last weekend. I know its a movie from 2007 but I did a search and not much discussion here before.

Went in with low expectations, notwithstanding the outstanding reviews, because the premise did not appeal to me, it was a guy with a doll treating it like a real girl.

WOW. One of the best movies I've seen. I loved how it showed that a town can come together and be compassionate and caring towards one of their own. The skeptic in me kept waiting for someone to burst his balloon and all I saw was the love the townfolk felt for the protagonist. I can only wish that this happens in the world more often.

[SPOILER ALERT]

There were several times I though it would happen and nope. Especially that scene where the guys come into the bowling alley to join Lars and instead of making fun of him or something, they all join in and have a blast.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I had just heard a great review for this last week on a local conservative talk radio show and then when I was paging through the pay-per-view movies on my DirecTV system I saw it was on and thought about buying it. May have to do that soon.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It's worth the money, a very dark comedy with a nice mix of a weird sadness a great movie through and through.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

One of the most overlooked films from last year, penned by one of the writers from "Six Feet Under" and directed by a great commercial comedy director. Oddly enough, the same director also helmed MR. WOODCOCK, but left in the middle of it due to creative differences with the producers.

If you've seen both movies (and it's a good bet that I may be the only one on this board who has), you can quickly figure out which one's more his style.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Just dropped this one back in my mailbox from a NetFlix go-round ... superb. Ryan Gosling is a tremendous actor, who has a very bright future ahead.

Quirky, heart-warming and direction that certainly set a mood -- and kept it perfectly.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would never watch Mr. Woodcock, even though Sarandon is in my five. The other movie sounds like something to check out.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I'd hit it

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

everyone did a great job in this movie. I'm a huge Emily Mortimer fan and call me a sap, but I was suprised with the ending.
    just a great flick.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've wanted to see this for a while. Guess I should. :D

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I like the DVD cover:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Just saw it last weekend. Well worth the rental.
    Also had low expectations and was planning to fall asleep while my wife watched it, but surprisingly like it and stayed awake.
    Not a fan of Ryan Gosling, even though he is Canadian and we're supposed to automatically like all Hosers, but he was actually good in this one.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

'Lars' does something I wish more movies had the balls to do ... let us imagine.

Don't read more if you haven't seen it.

We hear that Lars' was left alone with his widower father, and how that desertion led him down a path of loneliness. Yet at no time does the filmmaker feel compelled to show us his younger life or any seminal act that caused his current state. The viewer chooses how Lars arrived where he is now -- within a set of parameters constructed by Oscar-nominated screenwriter Nancy Oliver.

Less was more and I beg other filmmakers to remember that.

Draft saved Draft deleted