1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Munson retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 22, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This will likely be changed by the time anyone else gets to it, but on the ajc.com home page, there was a header, "Munson retires" over a picture of him. Right next to that was a header, "Stock market tumbles again." Just struck me as funny.

If you want a sampling of his work, there are a number of mp3 files linked on larrymunson.com

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am sure he'd much rather have you pee on a frat-house carpet in his honor...

3. prhack

prhack Member

Or kick a field goal "100,000 miles" to beat Clemson (okay, the real kick was only 60 yards, but I like Munson's version better) :)

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Driving through the middle of nowhere at night after a game in Starkvegas, listening to Larry Munson moan, "Rex Grossman has thrown for a million yards," I was fortunate not to have plowed that rental car through a fence and into a cow.

5. novelist_wannabe

We were gone. I gave up. You did too.

6. prhack

prhack Member

Not to threadjack, but Starkvegas has to be the most desolate college football outpost in the South. During my one trip there, I kept looking out into the night saying, "Where's the town?"

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you look behind the hay bale and the cow...

8. prhack

prhack Member

THAT'S where it was hiding! :)

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Loran, whaddya got?"

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Miracle!

This fanboi's heart is heavy, but having listened to him call the first two home games, I knew it was coming. He just didn't sound like he was enjoying himself, though I'm not sure "enjoy" is the right word to describe Munson watching Georgia. Still, I hope he can get well. It wouldn't surprise me to see him live to be 102, just to prove everyone wrong.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because our good friend hoops doesn't hang around much anymore:

"Cancer, Larry."

12. novelist_wannabe

Starkville. They coulda left off the ville and the name woulda fit better ...

deskslave, you know you're going to hell for that. I'll be right behind you, because I laughed out loud at that, both the first time I heard it a dozen years ago and again just now ...

Draft saved Draft deleted