1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Fitzgerald's dad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

There are two stories you often hear about Junior: 1. His dad is a "Twin Cities sports reporter" and 2. Junior was a ball boy for the Vikings and learned about being a wide receiver from Cris Carter and others.

So how do you think Junior got that opportunity. If I finagled a way to get my kid involved with the team I covered, I'd probably get fired or at least reprimanded.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing that since Fitz Sr. has had connections with the NFL for so long, he's using that to get the credential. I'm guessing there aren't too many weeklies getting credentilals for the Super Bowl unless they cover one of the two teams in the game or are in the host city.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch Senior wearing a Cardinals jersey to cover a game last night?

And I believe he's covered 28 Super Bowls, not 38.

4. Fitz. Sr. is a nice guy and a pro, whose been around long enough to know how act.

He attended a lot of Marshall University games - his other son Marcus played for the Herd.
    On occasion Larry would also attend the game.
    At any rate, Fitz Sr. would attend the MU games via a press credential. He would sit on the back row of the press box and keep to himself.
    He was quiet, unless otherwise engaged.
    Yeah he was there to watch his kid, but he always acted professionally in the press box (must refrain from making Reilly making out in the press box joke)
    And he never asked a single question in the post-game conferences.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

He was at the Cards' game in DC during the regular season, but his affiliation wasn't listed as a paper but something that sounded more PR-ish (LF Sports Communications or something like that). I know because I thought the visiting media section would have about four people and I might be in the front row, so I was hoping to find me seated there... but I was wrong.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know what you mean by "legit" but he is a working journalist and from those who know of him, a pretty good one.
    As far getting a credential for the Super Bowl, it isn't particularly difficult. MTV and all the odd balls that show up with a camera on media day is proof of that.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that Fitz sr has been a long time SJ member no doubt having a good chuckle reading this thread.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Wonder if that's why he wore the Cards uni last night ...

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hi, Fitz Sr.! Good luck to you and yours in the Bowl!

12. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

those odd balls on media day often have a one-day credential for media day only - not for the rest of the press conferences at team hotels and not for game day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.