1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by editorhoo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. djcarpen

djcarpen New Member

Calvin Johnson is the one bright spot for the future of the Lions. He hasn't been talked about a lot because of Roy Williams being Jon Kitna's #1 option. Johnson's season really didn't begin to take shape until after the trade. He should easily be considered for #1 in the league or at the very least #2.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My kid rode over with me for a game before he enrolled at Tech. On the way over he asked if it should be an easy win. Hell no, I said. Pitt is good and wait until you see this receiver named Fitzgerald.
    About four seconds in, Fitzgerald blows by everybody and hauls in a long touchdown.
    Next possession, he's covered by three people and still manages to go up and bring down the ball.
    My phone rings. The kid on the other end says "Holeeee shit." Yes, holy shit indeed.
    I think Tech actually pulled out that game but Pitt kicked their ass a few times. Interesting that a guy Fitzgerald used to abuse is Eric Green, now one of his Cardinals teammates. Green told me one time he'd never seen a receiver even close to Fitzgerald in ability and this was a guy who had gone against some pretty good ones at Miami.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Fitz danced in the endzone or ran his mouth like Kennard in the Wire, then he would be a household name.

He just seems to be a quiet decent guy who is a hell of a football player, and in this day and age that hurts your cred.

4. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

That's one thing that is very likeable about him. I don't think that hurts him, though. Didn't hurt Barry Sanders much.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Alleged domestic abuse

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/36959764.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUHPYDiaK7DUiacyKUU

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Is this woman a fulltime sports gossip columnist?

That's a new one...

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That was the 2002 game in Blacksburg. Larry only played 2002-2003 at Pitt and was able to leave early because he spent a year at Valley Forge Military Academy.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

9. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

That's what I like about Fitzgerald and A. Johnson. In a world where T.O., Moss, C. Johnson makes fools of themselves, these two don't. A. Johnson is very reserved when he could be making stupid fake phone calls from the end zone.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I sort of recall her work being the subject of some SJ frenzy, but can't remember what it was about.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I disagree that it is not close.

I think Fitz's size might give him a slight edge over Smith from Carolina, but Boldin is a big-time player, Moss is still a big-time player and Calvin Johnson's best years are still ahead of him -- so yes, it is very close and I could be convinced that any of them are the best.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I believe it was the shot of the Viking in the locker room.

Fitzgerald was a star in high school and his dad has worked in this market for a number of years. Not unusual for this columnist to write something about them.

Draft saved Draft deleted